Possible QT protocol with prophylactic copper treatment?

Brian Fay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering the following procedure:
Two to three weeks of observation and establishment of feeding routine.
Followed by 14 days of copper power at 1.75 ppm.
Introduction to DT (presumed to free of ich and velvet) as opposed to transfer to separate sterile QT for a few more days.

Assuming absence of bacterial, fungal infections and parasites what am I missing?

Feel free to comment.

Thank you all.

Last edited:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Brian, and welcome to Reef2Reef!

Here's another, rather updated and streamlined protocol which has been working well: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/#post-5262297

Bacterial infections have been absolutely rampant in the supply chain recently. Whatever this thing is, it can go from zero to lethal in under 24 hours; a healthy, aggressively eating fish becomes shy one day ... and is found dead the next. I'm currently treating a group of fish purchased on Black Friday, and antibiotics are as central as copper to what I'm doing ... and at that, I've already lost two anthias - one, for certain, to an internal bacterial infection.

Keep in mind that if you move the fish to your display, rather than a second, sterile QT, you are risking the transfer of a disease you may not have noticed or treated for - whether it's bacterial or an internal parasite.

~Bruce

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back