Possible Red Sea Max 250 upgrade. Thoughts?

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a JBJ 28 150 HQI and I am wanting to upgrade to a larger tank. The JBJ has been moved out with a tunze 9002 skimmer and I have a Neptune reef keeper dosing my tank. I like having an all in one setup so that is why I was looking into the Red Sea 250. I am not really looking to have to have an under tank sump and have to buy all the lighting and such. I just like what I have now....only i want to go bigger. I have two children and that takes up most of my time so I'm not looking to have lots of setup time. Currently in my JBJ I have a Watchman goby and a clown that is hosting a LTA, but mostly corals. A few SPS, but mostly zoos and LPS. Does anyone have this setup or have any pros or cons about this system? Any help is appreciated.

Chas

Netta Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be patient they just released a new series with a sump no more back panel YouTube red sea a series and you will find a video i work in a lfs and were getting the biggest one in sometime this week

Spaceman Spliff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RSM250 but have modded it with an overflow and sump. They work very good stock though. The stock skimmer can be finniky but I got it working decently when I was using it. The 6 T5's are great and put out more light than I thought they would, you can grow pretty much anything you want. The new Red Sea systems are really nice but much more expensive. Definately get the new system if you think you may want to do a sump or want a bigger tank than the 250 but if you are happy with an the 250's size and will stay within its limitations, it is a great tank. Reefsanctuary has a forum dedicated to the RSM tanks. Its very active and has TONS of info.

OP
OP
CSJIII

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RSM250 but have modded it with an overflow and sump. They work very good stock though. The stock skimmer can be finniky but I got it working decently when I was using it. The 6 T5's are great and put out more light than I thought they would, you can grow pretty much anything you want. The new Red Sea systems are really nice but much more expensive. Definately get the new system if you think you may want to do a sump or want a bigger tank than the 250 but if you are happy with an the 250's size and will stay within its limitations, it is a great tank. Reefsanctuary has a forum dedicated to the RSM tanks. Its very active and has TONS of info.

As far as the added sump, two things... I was trying to stay away from a sump since it just seems to me like too many moving parts to deal with in my limited free time. I was looking to set it up and not have to plumb a sump and maintain it. Second, if this tank REALLY needs a sump to be any good, I should just buy a reef ready tank and start there.

Spaceman Spliff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump is definately not needed. I picked my system up slightly used for a great deal which is why I bought it. I always intended to have a sump and chiller so I modified mine. If you read the RSM forum I mentioned earlier, you'll find many people running their system stock with great results.

screefer

Coral Hoarderâ„¢
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old Red Sea 250 about 3 years ago: Changed to ATI bulbs, and added a Nano Reef Systems Skimmer.
2rpe88h.jpg

redsea146

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What skimmer do you replace it with...Deltec 500?

redsea146

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, one of those would cost more than an entire used setup (with stand) these days. :)

The RSM250 skimmer is one of the parts that you can actually still find for sale on occasion.
No kidding! What skimmer are you using? If you used the stock skimmer did you find it workable, cheers.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the stock skimmer which came with the system. It's okay, but it really works in tandem with the in-tank water levels; you have to monitor both the surface skimmer and water reservoir to make sure that water's at the optimal level -- that's usually at the three-quarter level in the tank reservoir. The air intake is also fiddly.

You can get the entire assembly here, although you need to buy the skimmer pump separately. You'll also need airline tubing (and possibly washers), although that may come with the pump. Note that this internal skimmer is at least cosmetically different than the one that came with mine, which is the original curved-side model. It may have different dimensions as well, but but you'd have to contact Red Sea to find out. Their customer service with respect to this tank is, however, non-existent. I bought a number of parts for my tank on that site.

Last edited:

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stock skimmer broke down, and I couldn't repair it to my satisfaction, so I replaced it with an Aquamaxx WS-1. While it doesn't fit perfectly in the sump, it can be used if supported by eggcrate or other structure. It's doing a much better job than the stock unit ever did.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back