Possible RODI issue

casaletta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the rambling post but I am trying to troubleshoot why I am going through a bunch of BRS mixed bed DI resin recently.
I have a BRS 150GPD 6 stage unit.
I replaced all the filters and the 2 canisters of DI resin back in December. I check the DI about every 2 weeks to make sure I am ok.
About a month ago I notice that both DI containers had changed colors and my output was 15 on the tds meter. I refilled the DI resin and within 2 weeks the Di was spent again.
I then replaced all my filters ( using 2 universal carbon blocks 1 micron) and the resin a week and a half ago. Today one and 1/2 containers of DI resin are spent.
I have purchased an additional canister with tds meter built in plus the individual BRS pro series resin. The new canister came with mixed bed resin so I plumbed it in. I am not using the Pro series resin yet.
So the numbers I am seeing are as follows:
TDS at tap is 464 Yea AZ water.
TDS after the RO unit is 15
TDS after the three DI resins is 0.

My local water company uses Chlorine and Chlorine Dioxide. Chloramine is not listed.
I am going through about 120 gallons of RO water plus ATO over about 2 weeks.
Should I be going through all the DI resin I am currently using?

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 after ro membrane is too high. Either the membrane is not seated properly or its exhausted or pressure might be off.
After membrane it should be ideally 0-3 or maybe pushing it 5.

Specially if it's a 2 x 75 gph membrane setup

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 after ro membrane is too high. Either the membrane is not seated properly or its exhausted or pressure might be off.
After membrane it should be ideally 0-3 or maybe pushing it 5.

Specially if it's a 2 x 75 gph membrane setup
15 with an input of 464 is 97% rejection which is still within proper working tolerances for membranes.

I am in AZ as well and I am getting 24 ppm out of my membrane but am getting 1500+ppm input putting me at a 98% efficiency. I guarantee you if he tested source water with a meter calibrated to 1000ppm standard that his input reading would be a lot higher than 400.

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the rambling post but I am trying to troubleshoot why I am going through a bunch of BRS mixed bed DI resin recently.
I have a BRS 150GPD 6 stage unit.
I replaced all the filters and the 2 canisters of DI resin back in December. I check the DI about every 2 weeks to make sure I am ok.
About a month ago I notice that both DI containers had changed colors and my output was 15 on the tds meter. I refilled the DI resin and within 2 weeks the Di was spent again.
I then replaced all my filters ( using 2 universal carbon blocks 1 micron) and the resin a week and a half ago. Today one and 1/2 containers of DI resin are spent.
I have purchased an additional canister with tds meter built in plus the individual BRS pro series resin. The new canister came with mixed bed resin so I plumbed it in. I am not using the Pro series resin yet.
So the numbers I am seeing are as follows:
TDS at tap is 464 Yea AZ water.
TDS after the RO unit is 15
TDS after the three DI resins is 0.

My local water company uses Chlorine and Chlorine Dioxide. Chloramine is not listed.
I am going through about 120 gallons of RO water plus ATO over about 2 weeks.
Should I be going through all the DI resin I am currently using?

First thing I would check is CO2 in your water. High CO2 can lead to premature depletion of your DI resin.

the next thing I’d check is your pressure, what is your pressure going into your membrane?

Next what is your rejection rate?

Lastly, do you need a dual membrane? Yes you will make more water in a shorter amount of time however it will be at a cost of higher ppm water which again leads to eating up your resin.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another AZ reefer hear and all I can say is that this is within the realm of normality in AZ. There are a few things you can do.

In AZ dual membrane setups are not ideal because the waste of the first membrane feeds the second. This means that the TDS feeding the second membrane can be crazy high like 2000+ in our area. Consequently even when the membrane is working properly you will get higher TDS out of the unit as compared to a single membrane. This set up will save on waste water, but any money saved from water savings is very likely completely negated from the cost of the extra DI resign.

Additionally I have found that it simply isn't worth using regular DI resign. Using high performance resigns that separate the anion and cation resigns like Spectrapure's MaxCap System or The BRS Proseries resigns will last a lot longer. Since Spectrapure is local I am a bit biased to them. Spectrapure claims their MaxCap system lasts 4 times as long as a regular mixed bed system. I find it lasts at least 3 times as long and they now have an even high capacity Mega Max Cap and Enduro system that is supposed to last 2-3 times as long as the regular MaxCap. Once you switch I don't think you will go back.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another AZ reefer hear and all I can say is that this is within the realm of normality in AZ. There are a few things you can do.

In AZ dual membrane setups are not ideal because the waste of the first membrane feeds the second. This means that the TDS feeding the second membrane can be crazy high like 2000+ in our area. Consequently even when the membrane is working properly you will get higher TDS out of the unit as compared to a single membrane. This set up will save on waste water, but any money saved from water savings is very likely completely negated from the cost of the extra DI resign.

Additionally I have found that it simply isn't worth using regular DI resign. Using high performance resigns that separate the anion and cation resigns like Spectrapure's MaxCap System or The BRS Proseries resigns will last a lot longer. Since Spectrapure is local I am a bit biased to them. Spectrapure claims their MaxCap system lasts 4 times as long as a regular mixed bed system. I find it lasts at least 3 times as long and they now have an even high capacity Mega Max Cap and Enduro system that is supposed to last 2-3 times as long as the regular MaxCap. Once you switch I don't think you will go back.

Well if this is the case then why dont you put them in series?
I know waste water will rise but use it to water your plants, or grass.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Vertex did the same. Replaced it with the Aquamedic and changed the feed from before to after the water softener. Perfect. Then, for about 30 dollars I replaced all the tubing and switch valves on the Vertex and it works like new too. Our city water is hard enough to crack teeth. No membrane can survive it.
Mark

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 43 71.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back