Possibly a Flower Pot?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, these are the best photos I can get of this piece. It’s brown as it was grown under halides. I think it’s possibly a true Bernard. The flesh has hints of green (at first I thought it was a Montipora spongoides until I saw it extended). Any ideas @encrustingacro or @Reefkeepers Archive ?
IMG_8434.jpeg

IMG_8433.jpeg

I can attempt a better photo but it will likely result in a closed up coral.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhere in the goniopora/bernadpora family. How long have you had it? It could be a goniopora that isn't quite showing full extention. A close-up of the polyps could be helpful

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhere in the goniopora/bernadpora family. How long have you had it? It could be a goniopora that isn't quite showing full extention. A close-up of the polyps could be helpful
It went into the tank yesterday so not too long (It was a case of if I could get it off of the bottom of the tray it was mine - it was a tough piece to get off though).

Not the best close up but here’s one. Porites is also on the table but I’ve not seen one properly extended.
IMG_8438.jpeg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It went into the tank yesterday so not too long (It was a case of if I could get it off of the bottom of the tray it was mine - it was a tough piece to get off though).

Not the best close up but here’s one. Porites is also on the table but I’ve not seen one properly extended.
IMG_8438.jpeg
I can tell you for certain that that is NOT a porites.

Edit: on second thought, maybe.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you for certain that that is NOT a porites.

Edit: on second thought, maybe.
It’s a strange one as I’ve seen Goni’s extended like this and yet their polyps are still bigger - these polyps are maybe 1/4” across.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many arms does each polyp have?
Now you’re asking!
Honestly, hard to tell. They never stop moving so getting a still polyp photo is a pain. I’d say over 10 at least, I think I’ve counted 11.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to say that is alot of polyp extension for a porites, I don't have any experience with porites but from what I've found that amount of polyp extension makes it unlikely. @encrustingacro would probably give a better ID but I'm definitely leaning towards bernandpora

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to say that is alot of polyp extension for a porites, I don't have any experience with porites but from what I've found that amount of polyp extension makes it unlikely. @encrustingacro would probably give a better ID but I'm definitely leaning towards bernandpora
My first thought towards flower pots was a Bernard. I attempted an ID when I first saw it but it was in nothing but ambient lighting and a small amount of light from the tank next to it so my first thought was maybe Montipora. Now he’s extended that is certainly not an option.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought towards flower pots was a Bernard. I attempted an ID when I first saw it but it was in nothing but ambient lighting and a small amount of light from the tank next to it so my first thought was maybe Montipora. Now he’s extended that is certainly not an option.
Well goniopora have 24 arms, had to fact check that but can't find anything about bernandpora's arm count. Can you get a very close-up/clear photo of an individual polyp? Maybe use a macro lens?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well goniopora have 24 arms, had to fact check that but can't find anything about bernandpora's arm count. Can you get a very close-up/clear photo of an individual polyp? Maybe use a macro lens?
I can try - my ambient lights often disagree with close up photos though. It’ll be harder with lights off. So if needed I’ll try get one tomorrow. Here’s the best so far;
IMG_8459.jpeg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can try - my ambient lights often disagree with close up photos though. It’ll be harder with lights off. So if needed I’ll try get one tomorrow. Here’s the best so far;
IMG_8459.jpeg
From what I can find proties have 12 arms so if you truly counted 11 then that would be closest. Though I've never seen that kind of PE in any photos of proties..

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a little more research shows that bernandpora also have 24 arms. With that being said and the polyps being 1/4" across points towards proties. I don't have much experience with anything in the "pora" family so I'd wait for @encrustingacro but it looks like a really healthy proties!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back