Possibly getting another eel. Which is the best choice for me?

reefpunk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this!

I’ve been thinking of possibly moving on from my zebra eel and rehoming him so I can get another smaller eel. I currently have a snowflake and zebra eel together in my system with 12-13 other fish.

I have the choice between banana eel, skeletor eel, Chainlink and golden dwarf. I’d prefer a more docile eel that I can keep with my fish. I do understand the banana eel is a fanged tooth so that’s most likely out of the question. Out of the others i mentioned which would be best when it comes to fish safety? I know there’s a chance eels will go after fish but I’ve been lucky that I haven’t had to deal with that in the two years I’ve had mine.

i also have the option of a ribbon eel but I heard it’s tough to get them eating.

thanks again!

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this!

I’ve been thinking of possibly moving on from my zebra eel and rehoming him so I can get another smaller eel. I currently have a snowflake and zebra eel together in my system with 12-13 other fish.

I have the choice between banana eel, skeletor eel, Chainlink and golden dwarf. I’d prefer a more docile eel that I can keep with my fish. I do understand the banana eel is a fanged tooth so that’s most likely out of the question. Out of the others i mentioned which would be best when it comes to fish safety? I know there’s a chance eels will go after fish but I’ve been lucky that I haven’t had to deal with that in the two years I’ve had mine.

i also have the option of a ribbon eel but I heard it’s tough to get them eating.

thanks again!
reach out to @Mibu about getting a ribbon eel to eat.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest the chainlink or the skelator, they will have similar care and temperament to the snowflake, as well as the zebra, The banana eel is a fang tooth eel and fish will be on the menu, as they mature they will need at least a 180g tank and kept with aggressive fish. Appropriate tank mates would include triggers, large angels, groupers; and possible thick, tuff tangs and other similarly tuff fish. I've seen them take down thinner bodied tangs possibly because of the oblivious nature of the grazing and it makes an easy target or they invaded their territory. The golden dwarf is also a fang tooth, and even though they are small and may not eat the fish in question, as they mature they become biters. And a bite can turn nasty, as in a bacterial infection or you end up with a wrasse missing a tail. If you are interested in a ribbon eel, you may be interested to read my thread, I strongly suggest for long term care of this eel, that live food be included in their diet, live mollies. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-chronicles-of-a-rhinomuraena-quaesita.621786/

OP
OP
R

reefpunk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest the chainlink or the skelator, they will have similar care and temperament to the snowflake, as well as the zebra, The banana eel is a fang tooth eel and fish will be on the menu, as they mature they will need at least a 180g tank and kept with aggressive fish. Appropriate tank mates would include triggers, large angels, groupers; and possible thick, tuff tangs and other similarly tuff fish. I've seen them take down thinner bodied tangs possibly because of the oblivious nature of the grazing and it makes an easy target or they invaded their territory. The golden dwarf is also a fang tooth, and even though they are small and may not eat the fish in question, as they mature they become biters. And a bite can turn nasty, as in a bacterial infection or you end up with a wrasse missing a tail. If you are interested in a ribbon eel, you may be interested to read my thread, I strongly suggest for long term care of this eel, that live food be included in their diet, live mollies. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-chronicles-of-a-rhinomuraena-quaesita.621786/
Thank you for the information. I've decided that I will be getting a chainlink next month! I would've loved the golden dwarf but i'd rather not take chances with my fish!

cshplumber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I love my Chainlink. It is out all the time while my Skeletor is very reclusive.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back