Possibly lost coral shipment, my first time, what do i do?

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first time a coral shipment failed to arrive. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday, but my area woke up to a surprise 15" of snow. My order said it was on a truck for delivery but it never showed. They've updated my tracking to say weather delay, but didn't say when they might feel like delivering. I've already notified the coral vendor that my order didn't arrive, and they said to just take pictures of anything doa and they'll reship. But what if it doesn't show up/ is lost? I also read the vendors doa policy and it says I'm responsible for shipping costs again. Shouldn't UPS have to refund the original shipping costs since they failed? Does filing a claim with them do anything?

Honestly my fault for ordering in winter and I'll never do it again. I ordered my stuff before Christmas during all the great live sales, but if I have to pay shipping again then I really didn't save any money with the sales.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ups doesnt issue refunds anymore.

If it doesnt arrive its likely dead anyways and same as a DOA.
The seller agreed to ship you another box minus shipping costs....

Thats a normal practice with most vendors or they will fully refund you minus shipping costs.
Luckly, as some sellers dont cover carrier delays at all....shame on them.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its partially up to you to be responsible for where your corals are being shipped to....
Partially on the seller to confirm weather/delay potentials in both areas of shipping and recieving.
A freak overnight snowstorm isnt either of your fault tho really.
Ive made the decision to ship to snowy climate but only when the weather was good and wasnt actively going to be snowing

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one coral order turn into a complete loss due to a fedex shipping delay. Package was sent overnight but came 3 days late. just skeletons remained. Another package that perished in Memphis. Vendor was on top of it and replaced the entire order several weeks later. We decided to wait for some warmer weather before reshipping it though.

if the vendor was reputable, they should take care of you.

I now have all orders shipped to my hub and held. have had better luck doing that... but if its shipped fedex, it usually comes down to how Memphis hub is operating. If the memphis hub is backed up, don't ship anything via fedex overnight as it usually won't make it.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one coral order turn into a complete loss due to a fedex shipping delay. Package was sent overnight but came 3 days late. just skeletons remained. Another package that perished in Memphis. Vendor was on top of it and replaced the entire order several weeks later. We decided to wait for some warmer weather before reshipping it though.

if the vendor was reputable, they should take care of you.

I now have all orders shipped to my hub and held. have had better luck doing that... but if its shipped fedex, it usually comes down to how Memphis hub is operating. If the memphis hub is backed up, don't ship anything via fedex overnight as it usually won't make it.
FedEx = DedEx in my area. They are trash

OP
OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was UPS, and we have a great relationship with our driver, he loves seeing the cool stuff I order. I've showed pictures of the corals he's helped deliver.

Kinda what I feared. Chocking this up to lesson learned. I'm under the 'snow line' so we rarely get more than an inch or two and it melts right away. This was truly an unexpected storm. Heavy rain was expected. Tons of people have caved roofs, the building code isn't even sufficient for this amount of snow fall.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back