OP
OP
falconut

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to get a couple videos of him swimming. First is today doing his weird up down swimming with mouth bumping.

Second is yesterday during his normal swimming pattern.

I also checked into some things. The tank is closer to an 18" cube. The girl tells me they're treating his tank with:

1 - prazipro (added every two weeks & just added a dose yesterday)
2 - pure copper maintained @ 2.0
3 - salinity kept around 1.019-1.020
4 - they've had his since 7/8

What do you think, is the swimming an issue of alarm or possibly just from too small a tank.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to get a couple videos of him swimming. First is today doing his weird up down swimming with mouth bumping.

Second is yesterday during his normal swimming pattern.

I also checked into some things. The tank is closer to an 18" cube. The girl tells me they're treating his tank with:

1 - prazipro (added every two weeks & just added a dose yesterday)
2 - pure copper maintained @ 2.0
3 - salinity kept around 1.019-1.020
4 - they've had his since 7/8

What do you think, is the swimming an issue of alarm or possibly just from too small a tank.

The first video shows an obviously stressed fish. The copper is worrisome what the heck is she talking about pure copper??

The second video is more normal and I wouldn’t worry a whole lot. I can also tell you that fish does in fact eat - the stomach area is pretty well full but it went some time without eating before making it to you, as evidenced by the bony figure up top. That said, if it were me, I would buy it. It’s a striking Indo, it appears as healthy as it can for coming through the distribution system— I would assume she has no idea what she’s talking about with copper or Prazi.

OP
OP
falconut

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, when she said they keep the levels at 2, I said oh you use coppersafe & she said no we use our copper. I was thinking maybe it's that cp, that others on here talk about.

So you're leaning towards it just being a stressed fish, that I can work with. I was just nervous it was a sign of possible cyanide poisoning.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely QT if you get this fish. About 6 seconds into the 2nd video looks like a gill fluke hanging on. As for bumping into the glass does the Regal only do it on that bottom corner where the sand is pushed aside? If so he might be seeing his reflection. If not he might have some other underlying issue... possibly issues related to stress, size of their holding tank, medication or even their salinity. I've seen behavior like this and other equilibrium issues with fish when they're moved between different salinity levels too quick.

If you do pick him up try masstick mixed with mysis and chopped clams. Masstick is like crack to most fish.

Regals are great fish. Another option if you don't go with your LFS would be maybe to try LA for a smaller one. Great prices and a 14 day guarantee. I've picked up two from LA which were healthy and eating right out of the bag.

Best of luck to you.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do it....unfortunate about the "no guarantee" part though! Go in there with your own live blood worms see if they'll let you try and see what happens! The poor guy deserves a chance at a caring owner that understands the challenge of this fish than some some newb that wants it because its pretty....

OP
OP
falconut

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it'd be going directly into my qt tank, I'll be matching salinity & slowly raise it up.

I see LA pretty frequently has medium (2-3/4" to 3-1/4") regals, but my flame angel is a little bold with smaller fish. Plus, early this year I ordered 2 butterflies from them & they were very small & 1 had lymph. Both lasted longer than the 14 days but neither lived. Wasn't confident with them.

Yes, only bumps that bottom corner where the sand has been cleared. Maybe he thinks he can go through it.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, when she said they keep the levels at 2, I said oh you use coppersafe & she said no we use our copper. I was thinking maybe it's that cp, that others on here talk about.

So you're leaning towards it just being a stressed fish, that I can work with. I was just nervous it was a sign of possible cyanide poisoning.
CP is Chloroquine Phosphate — a different medication altogether :)

OP
OP
falconut

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120, so right online with other indos online. Except he'd be more cause of his size. I had them try a frozen half shell clam & he kept picking at it. So I got him.

Their salinity was at 1.022 & the copper was 0.16, so guess when she said 2, she meant 0.2. Just finished dripping & he's now in the QT. Wish me luck.

OP
OP
falconut

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Had him since Friday, so it's been 6 days now. Been swimming completely normal in QT. Does occasionally stare at the surface like he's looking for something. He definitely reacts to me, but not really scared or hiding. To me, doesn't look like he's lost any weigh & the thing on his gill is gone, looks really healthy.

Feeding:

This is the issue, shocker.

He doesn't try anything floating, unlike the couple times he did in the LFS. I've tried frozen hikari brine & mysis. I even clipped a single mysis, but he only looked at it.

He's nipped at green nori rubberbanded to a small rock, but not often. Occasionally nipped at it on the algae clip too.

I've tried fresh mussel, only a nip here & there in the beginning, now just looks. Same reaction with clam on a half shell as the mussel.

I threw in a couple NLS pellets, but after a day, he hadn't touched it.

I even floated a piece of flake food on top to see if maybe he'd try it, since he was staring at the surface.

I'm probably going to hit the store this weekend & pick up some live black worms. Maybe red nori & live brine.

Questions:

What type of nori was yours most interested in? I think I heard they like red, but not sure if it's true.

Is there a food type that yours sams to like better than others?

I've considered looking for a cheap zoa, cause I read some people saying there Regal ate them. Did any of yours eat so as?

I might even order a cheap sponge frag to throw in, anybody have theirs eat the decorative sponges?

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried live black worms and everything else when I first got mine. The first thing that my two ate was PE mysis shrimp. While still frozen I shaved it into smaller pieces and then fed it. My regals always went after the smaller bits of food first. The small clams on the half shell that Hikari sells was the next food they ate. I did the same prep with this, while frozen I used a razor blade to cut some slices in it. This way when the fish tried to sample it smaller chunks could break away to eat. Granted my fish were smaller than your. Both fish took about 5 days to settle down and start eating again. Each day they seem to eat larger amounts then the previous day. Now they are both pigs and will eat anything I put in. Good luck. Hope it starts eating soon.

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
I don’t have a regal but have had good luck with picky eaters with scallops. I go to my local seafood store and get frozen large sea scallops. They have thawed ones out for sale but I have them get frozen scallops from the back! I keep in my freezer then when time to feed I use a long thin cheese grater to scrape small pieces off! All my fish love this and graters are available with many different grater hole sizes.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine like LRS Herbivore. On a side note this past weekend I moved an adult Blueface and a sub adult from a 100 gallon rubbermaid tub into a new 180 aquarium and neither one has come out to eat in four days. And I have had the adult since February and juvenile/ sub adult since last year. I guess they are not happy about the move?

OP
OP
falconut

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get both PE mysis & LRS Herbivore at my LFS, just wish they came in smaller packages, like sample size. I tried LRS in the past & most of my fish didn't touch it. I have some larger fish now, so maybe it's worth a try.

So is the red nori just a waste of money to try?

Maybe next time I go to the grocery store I'll pick up a few scallops.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back