Possibly Regal Angel Purchase

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this 5"-6" Indo. Regal Angelfish at my LFS yesterday. They said they've had it for about a week. When I asked them to feed it, they tried frozen mysis, and it would bite the floating mysis, then spit it back out. It did this over and over, so definitely interested in food. I asked if they could try some live blackworms, so he put some in and the same thing. He kept swimming over to them, suck them in, then spit them out. Floating, on the bottom, same thing. I know the eating part is big with them, so I didn't get him.

They have him in a fairly small tank, maybe a 2' cube. He swims right up to the front and around the tank, then seams to like the front corner, cause he always comes back to it. He will follow and react to my hand at the glass, but doesn't hide from me. Looks like he cleared the sand out of this corner. I watched him for about a 1/2 hour. He swam normal about 95% of the time, then occasionally he'd swim up the glass (in the corner) to the top, then swim straight down and sometimes bump his mouth on the cleared bottom glass. He'd also, start turning on his side over this cleared out area, not laying on the bottom, just float about 1/2" about it, then pop right back up and swim around again.

He's in with a 4"-5" spotted sweat lip and a 4" tang (forgot the type, but not a real common one). He doesn't seam to be shy of either as he will swim right up to either and brush right past them. Plus, he would dart in front of either when he was sampling the food.

Does any of this behavior sound odd or is this possibly just due to the confined space? I'm probably going to stop by later today and see if they'll try a clam, as there is an empty shell in the tank, so it appears something ate one. Any opinions? I've always wanted one, just don't want to just throw my money away. I attached some photos of him, to me he looks really fat and healthy, but looking for opinions here, as mine might be bias since I've always wanted one, but they almost never have them at my LFS.
20180724_191916 (002).jpg
20180724_191913 (002).jpg

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be doing a great service by taking this fish home and trying different foods. In saying that 5" and larger regal Angelfish have a poor track record, most are set in there ways on food choice. In my experience 2 to 3" do the best. Since the fish looks like it is in good shape you have a couple weeks (guessing) to get it eating.

OP
OP
falconut

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was so tempting yesterday to just try it, but I've had fish that didn't eat at the LFS, just perish without ever eating in the past.

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with every one if doesn't eat for LFS it won't eat for you. I had thought I could save them but after many of loss I stop trying. It's a shame, its a beautiful looking fish.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree with the others. Get yourself a juvenile Regal, and you'll have a much better chance. My juvenile from DD ate the minute he was put into my tank, and hasn't stopped since.

OP
OP
falconut

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped by after work & the girl told me it was eating. She put in some frozen mysis & this time he ate some. Not a ton, probably about 5 pieces, but definitely ate. She says they try & feed him about 5 times during the day. Does this count as eating for Regals or should they be eating like a tang (everything they see)?

OP
OP
falconut

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, he isn't very shy. He will stay in the front when I walk up & will even swim up to my finger if I put it against the glass. He was nipping at the small morey eel that was I the tank with him. He made it retreat into the rock. Is this a good sign that he's this bold?

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak for all Regals, but mine is as voracious as any fish in my tank. He's a real piggy. It's a great sign that it's eating, but I would still wait to see how it does over the course of the next week or two. Maybe you can put a deposit on it and they can hold it for you for a little while. An angel that size will need to eat quite a bit to stay healthy.

OP
OP
falconut

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your regal a shy fish? A lot of the videos I've watched of them, they are skittish & hiding a lot. This one isn't at all. I wonder if the skittish behavior is just during the juvy stage. Unfortunately they don't hold anything.

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your regal a shy fish? A lot of the videos I've watched of them, they are skittish & hiding a lot. This one isn't at all. I wonder if the skittish behavior is just during the juvy stage. Unfortunately they don't hold anything.

Mine was shy the first day I got it, but it is not anymore. He's out front most of the time now.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you quarantine? This looks like a nice fish and cool that it’s not shy! It would probably eat bettter once it settles in. Did they try Nori? Mine loves Nori.

OP
OP
falconut

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you quarantine? This looks like a nice fish and cool that it’s not shy! It would probably eat bettter once it settles in. Did they try Nori? Mine loves Nori.

Yes, I've got a fully cycled QT tank that is ready to go. So far they tried frozen mysis and live black worms (1st day) didn't eat but was looking very interested & it was 10 minutes til closing. They fed frozen mysis again last night and this time he swam right over and ate some, then left the rest floating. Seems to eat right away, then just ignore afterwards. He was picking at a piece of a feathery algae stem that was floating in the water. But didn't eat it. There were multiple empty clam shells in the tank, but the girt told me there were for feeding a different fish that was in there.

OP
OP
falconut

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the eating, the other concern is the occasional swimming up the corner, then down until he hits his mouth into the glass bottom. He'll do this several times, then just swim around total normal. I wonder if it's just because he's in a small tank (2'x2') and he's 5"-6". He's cleared the sand out of this front corner, which is where he bumps his mouth on the way down. They've had him since probably 7/16.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re going to QT and it’s eating I say go for it. It’s true smaller angels do better but you’ve got a great head start. Watch for infections in QT they seem to attract severe infections that come on in a day or two and it’s over. Have antibiotics on hand.

Indo are notorious for dying without apparent reason, even more frequently than their yelllow belly counterparts from other regions.

It’s also possible that it takes time to begin eating in a new environment. But I still say go for it!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the eating, the other concern is the occasional swimming up the corner, then down until he hits his mouth into the glass bottom. He'll do this several times, then just swim around total normal. I wonder if it's just because he's in a small tank (2'x2') and he's 5"-6". He's cleared the sand out of this front corner, which is where he bumps his mouth on the way down. They've had him since probably 7/16.
Regal angels behave strangely when healthy in smaller tanks so it’s hard to tell when something is actually wrong. Eating is a great sign.

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your QT larger than the LFS tank? It a good sign its eating. The swimming thing is normal in a small tank. My trigger and Cream Angel both swim back and forth on side wall for a long time.

OP
OP
falconut

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing on their size because it's a custom rack system, but it's definitely smaller than the 20 long QT I've got, plus it would be the only fish in there. They had a spotted sweat lip (now gone as it sold the 1st day I was there), a tang and a small morey eel.

What was weird was that it was bumping it's mouth into the glass, but maybe it just couldn't see it when swimming down the side.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your mind is set on getting this fish. If you are like me you're already seeing it swimming in your tank. Go for it and keep us posted. We are all here to help if you need it. Good luck

OP
OP
falconut

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your mind is set on getting this fish. If you are like me you're already seeing it swimming in your tank. Go for it and keep us posted. We are all here to help if you need it. Good luck

Not set, but close. I'm just trying to picture it swimming and eating in my QT for now. Ha ha. If it was eating great and this fish didn't have the poor track record, I'd already have it. I'd just hate to get it and have it die in a day or two, which has happened a few times with other angles. LFS has no guarantee. I'm hoping I won't need anymore help about him if I get it, but also appreciate the great people on this forum.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back