Posting prices

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peter, good point, but that is risky and the vendors that may be fishing for demand on certain pieces probably don't work the ebay angle to often for selling purposes. Ebay can bring in high prices or low and for those folks that are wanting the high prices for their corals are not going ot want to risk an auction unless maybe they stick that reserve price thing on it. I think this is a great thread and a great discussion. I would love to hear from more vendors. I totally get that vendors that have a store front have many more challenges than those that don't. I would expect to pay more from those folks for the rare and very high end corals. But price the corals and live with it.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always tried to have a price listed on everything. I feel that is only fair to all parties involved. As far as raising price on High demand corals, even Steve Tyree raises his prices when demand exceeds the ability to propagate a coral fast enough. That is simple supply and demand economics. If you don't like the price of a coral then don't buy it. Last time I was at a frag swap there were plenty of $5 corals floating around. If you want the Hope diamond in your tank, then be willing to fork over the bank account. We must all remember that we as hobbyists created the monster. If there was no desire for coral in aquariums there would be no aquarium industry. We do live in a capitalist society. If you can make a buck at it then you can bet someone is. Not to mention I don't think too many people acctually consider the cost of running a brick and mortar fish store. After you factor in electricity, losses water changes, shipping costs...etc. there really isn't nearly as big of a profit margin as a hobbyist that doesn't factor in the cost of running the tank or anything else. He sells a frag for $50 then that's $50 he gets to spend on the tank. The same $50 frag from a store acctualy translates into about a $15 or $20 net profit.

But on the other hand I do have to agree with you guys to some extent. There are those vendors out there that do try and make every buck they can off of every piece.

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always tried to have a price listed on everything. I feel that is only fair to all parties involved. As far as raising price on High demand corals, even Steve Tyree raises his prices when demand exceeds the ability to propagate a coral fast enough. That is simple supply and demand economics. If you don't like the price of a coral then don't buy it. Last time I was at a frag swap there were plenty of $5 corals floating around. If you want the Hope diamond in your tank, then be willing to fork over the bank account. We must all remember that we as hobbyists created the monster. If there was no desire for coral in aquariums there would be no aquarium industry. We do live in a capitalist society. If you can make a buck at it then you can bet someone is. Not to mention I don't think too many people acctually consider the cost of running a brick and mortar fish store. After you factor in electricity, losses water changes, shipping costs...etc. there really isn't nearly as big of a profit margin as a hobbyist that doesn't factor in the cost of running the tank or anything else. He sells a frag for $50 then that's $50 he gets to spend on the tank. The same $50 frag from a store acctualy translates into about a $15 or $20 net profit.

But on the other hand I do have to agree with you guys to some extent. There are those vendors out there that do try and make every buck they can off of every piece.

This all makes complete sense but I think the point of the thread is the fact that some vendors aren't posting prices which raises the chances of deception for some customers.

Post a price and if people want it, you're right, they'll buy it. When prices aren't posted, people may feel that they could be paying more than the next person. Obviously, if one puts something up for sale, theres a price... why not post it?

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This all makes complete sense but I think the point of the thread is the fact that some vendors aren't posting prices which raises the chances of deception for some customers.

Post a price and if people want it, you're right, they'll buy it. When prices aren't posted, people may feel that they could be paying more than the next person. Obviously, if one puts something up for sale, theres a price... why not post it?
Agreed 100%

NVTE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Totally Agreed

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then there are some vendors who feel they can charge whatever they want based on their reputation, this is why I don't even bother buying anymore

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is really simple. If you don't like the price or the method, don't buy like Favia Freak. :D

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really simple. If you don't like the price or the method, don't buy like Favia Freak. :D

Yep - stilll a good discussion though. I think this is good so people know they aren't alone in their thinking.
Same with vendors - that way they know what their consumer base is looking for in terms of making a good sale and continued support.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh yea I don't have a problem with this discussion at all. :)

Like you say some vendors may change for the simple fact of seeing this displeasure.

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, You list a coral then list a price.

Last edited:

bushh23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agreed, You list a coral then list a price.

ESPECIALLY if it is for sale! Lots of vendors like to put the pic up, then have their friends hype it and wait for the PMs to gauge interest. Most of us know who the hype people are and they are just as to blame as the vendors themsleves so lets not forget them. But i agree with everything else being said in here!

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff everyone. I agree with so much that has been said, especially the part that if you do not like someone's business tactics, don't buy from them. My list of vendors and hobbyist that I will buy from in always refining and usually gets shorter and shorter. I always like finding ethical hobbyist and vendors to share my money and corals with. There are plenty of them out there :)

Last edited:

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 24 36.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back