Posting prices

sailfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be nice if sponsors and or individuals alike would have to post prices along with any picture of a coral that is for sale.

If you are posting it to you website or trying to sell it in sponsor section put a price so we don't have to ask or PM you. It seems fishy like you want to se how much interest there is before posting a price.

Just bad mojo IMO

Joe

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
I don't see why anyone wouldn't post it unless they have different prices for different people.......

mevstheworld

Salt Creep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed. heck, i've even seen people post a price, then get a bunch of interest then jack the price up. personal and sponsors alike, complete garbage !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Neon Reef

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great thread. what really irks me is when they post a coral as a new company did not too long ago..posted a lot of corals and once they saw how much interest a zoanthid colony drew, they jacked up the prices on each polyp knowing they would still sell. Why couldn't they post the price at the beginning? Just frustrating, but feel better now. end rant. lol

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad to see that I am not the only hobbyist that feels this way. Great thread :)

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe for vendors sometimes the price are too low to advertise??

That is full of CRAP!
EliteReefs is the lowest and sells killer stuff - beat them and I will order monthly like I do most of the time from Elite!!!!!

There is NO REASON AT ALL not to post a price that I can see. If there is - please let me know so I can reajust my view....

Znut Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Saw where one vendor posted a price for a chalice. Saw the interest and jacked up the price. Just not right, and I lost interest in buying from them.
I think once a price is posted then it needs to stay the same price.

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I recently purchased a couple chalices from a vendor that raised prices as well. I was pretty ticked. However, it's the nature of the game. I still purchased them anyway because I really wanted them. Even though I was mad I didn't complain. As their supply becomes more limited then the demand and price will go up. Simple economics wheter we like it or not.

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definately simple econmics...but there are still personal ethics involved. I think a lot of folks are definately fishing for interest and then jacking prices up when there appears to be a favorite amongst the masses. I agree BAD MOJO. I pretty much figure what goes around comes around and treat everyone as I would want to be treated :D.

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alicia you are right.

Btw, U are definitely one of the fairest hobbiest I know.

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is definately my #1 or #2 gripe about this site. Much of what I see on here is posting some new coral and "PM me for frags" or an implication of such. For me, especially as I get older, customer service is paramount and seems to be suffering as of late. Never the less, when people buy frags from me I always try to offer them below market value, provide generous sized frags, and "make it right" if there are problems.

Dave

Ultimateaquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO it's a way for them to gauge how much they can charge by the responce they get from posting the pic. I got bashed in a post from calling somebody out on this. I thought about leaving R2R because of it. I guess it's good marketing on their part, but sucks when we drive the price up with a frenzy....Just post a price!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's don't make this into an R2R thread...
I am not selling any corals.

Just so you know, your talking about vendors because we don't allow members to post for sales without prices. We will look into this issue for sure, but like I said don't make this into an R2R thread because I do EVERYTHING in my power to make sure this site is the best it can be.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTW I agree prices should be posted....

Up till now this has been a personal decision for each vendor. We as a mod staff will discuss this.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my take on this.... Believe it or not, there is a market for certain corals regardless of price, AND there are people that will buy them specifically because it is so exclusive. I remember years ago walking into a Porche dealer, there were NO WINDOW STICKERS with price, I am sure they were not cheap, but they INTENTIONALLY hid the price on the cars. :eek:

Sometimes the old proverb, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" is very true.

All that being said, if a price is not listed, how long does it really take to shoot off a PM?

Now, personally I can go either way as I don't find it to be a big deal.

Ultimateaquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's don't make this into an R2R thread...
I am not selling any corals.

I wasn't referring to R2R or you. You're right, it's not your fault. I was talking about the people bashing me for stating the obvious. It made me not like the people who use your site for a bit, but I got over it. I said something about a vendor posting pics without a price to gauge demand. It was like I stepped on a land mine.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the new proverb -

"If I have to ask - I won't be buying from you" rings true though...

We aren't selling ferrari's here. Just a place to enjoy the hobby, get to know people, hang out, and have FUN are the top priorities on my list.
Corals are a distant second.......

Its more about sharing the experience with other people. Selling/buying is part of that of course. This is what makes it fun. It doesn't become fun anymore when I feel like someone is trying to just make money and not be part of the experience and story behind the coral.
I can go buy tons of frags from different places online and never talk to anyone = that sucks to me.......
Just my .02

Last edited:

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone wants to post a coral with no price, shouldn't they just make it an ebay auction then?

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 49.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back