Potassium chloride dip

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this food grade KCL and figured it will last a long time for the price using against aefw. Bayer works fine just would like to see in the dip. Is this product ok for this purpose?
FA35C8C0-31BD-4454-92F6-ABBC7A4902BE.jpeg

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this food grade KCL and figured it will last a long time for the price using against aefw. Bayer works fine just would like to see in the dip. Is this product ok for this purpose?
FA35C8C0-31BD-4454-92F6-ABBC7A4902BE.jpeg
Yes it is. We use that as our primary dip when we get new pieces in. It works great!

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do use it on all coral or mainly acropora? Do you also use 1 tbsp per gallon?
We only use it on Acropora as that is all that we bring in. We also do not bring in maricultured colonies very often. More often we are purchasing lineaged frags use it on them. We do 2 TBS per gallon for 7 minutes. Then the frags or colonies go into QT. We then dip them once a week for 8 weeks to make sure that any eggs have hatched and the life cycle is complete. The corals then go into a seperate system for at least 6 months before going into the grow out systems.

OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best and safest coral dip for all corals. Its very gentle on corals and kills pests within 4 minutes

we use 2 tablesoons per gallon for 10 minues
We only use it on Acropora as that is all that we bring in. We also do not bring in maricultured colonies very often. More often we are purchasing lineaged frags use it on them. We do 2 TBS per gallon for 7 minutes. Then the frags or colonies go into QT. We then dip them once a week for 8 weeks to make sure that any eggs have hatched and the life cycle is complete. The corals then go into a seperate system for at least 6 months before going into the grow out systems.
Ok thanks for your inputs. I’ll try the 2tbs per gallon. I’ve read people also do 1tbs per gallon and leave them in the dip for about 30 minutes.

In your experiences, is that dosage or KCL in general safe for smooth skins?

Sorry for all the questions, KCL dip is something new for me so just want to do it correctly.

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for your inputs. I’ll try the 2tbs per gallon. I’ve read people also do 1tbs per gallon and leave them in the dip for about 30 minutes.

In your experiences, is that dosage or KCL in general safe for smooth skins?

Sorry for all the questions, KCL dip is something new for me so just want to do it correctly.
It's safe for any relatively healthy SPS. I say relatively healthy because any frag that is very stressed will react badly to any dip. No problems with smooth skins.

OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped 12 acro frags yesterday in KCl. 6 frags in 2tbs/gal for 8.5 minutes (split between what was recommended above) and 6 frags in 1tbs/gal for 25 minutes.

No losses with either dip and had a smooth skin in each. A couple frags were looking kind of weak and pale beforehand and they’re fine. The corals did slime up but that’s normal.

It’s nice to see in the bucket during the dip and not worry about nasty insecticide inside. Not as harsh as some of the commercial dips.

100% will be dipping acros in KCl in the future and try my best to dip weekly for 8 weeks while they’re in a separate system.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this same one and it works great. Very gentle on Acros and no losses as of yet.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool I learned something new. So KCL is good for AEFW does it also work for montipora nudibranches? I use Bayer but if this is just as effective this seems like the better option for safety and for cost

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool I learned something new. So KCL is good for AEFW does it also work for montipora nudibranches? I use Bayer but if this is just as effective this seems like the better option for safety and for cost
Sadly no, i does not work on nudibranch. In fact I have not found anything that KILLS them yet. The tea tree based products does stun them. I had them for a good bit of time. Dipping/scrubbing weekly.

OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someone with more knowledge chimes in but I’m not sure about nudis. I’ve heard mixed reviews of KCl on montipora and other coral other than acropora specifically

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using this and it works great. Anyone know if it's ok for mushrooms?

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using this and it works great. Anyone know if it's ok for mushrooms?
I've used this on mushrooms and I've had no problems granted jawbreakers I dipped started slimming and looking like they were melting around the edges so I did not dip them longer than four or five minutes.

I use the 1 tablespoon per gallon recipe. I've dipped everything thing from LPS, SPS, zoas, I would not hesitate to dip any coral in this product. I have also never lost a single piece

The mushrooms do tend to be a little more sensitive for whatever reason

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 25 41.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back