OP
JATReef

JATReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?
Purchased this beautiful twin spot 4 days ago. Settled in beautifully, just beginning to eat and come out more often.
I believe he may have been stung by one of my rbta's as he was absolutely normal and within 30 mins had developed the white patch shown in the pictures.
He is still swimming normally and has no heavy breating however he isn't picking at the rock work as he normally

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JATReef

JATReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Followed on from above --
As he normally would, I couldn't find much related to this topic so any help would please be appreciated.
The main reason for believing it could be an anemone sting is the speed that it developed, and that it doesn't look like a wound, more of a burn.

Upvote 0

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?
Purchased this beautiful twin spot 4 days ago. Settled in beautifully, just beginning to eat and come out more often.
I believe he may have been stung by one of my rbta's as he was absolutely normal and within 30 mins had developed the white patch shown in the pictures.
He is still swimming normally and has no heavy breating however he isn't picking at the rock work as he normally
It actually looks like a fungus infection. But I could be completely wrong. I had a fish one that would swim by my bta all the time and touch it. Never anything like that.. btas are usually very tame.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JATReef

JATReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually looks like a fungus infection. But I could be completely wrong. I had a fish one that would swim by my bta all the time and touch it. Never anything like that.. btas are usually very tame.
So I thought, he seems to be hanging out very close to one of the nems and the fact that one moment it wasn't there and the next it was made me think sting, I will have a look at potential fungal infections. Thank you

Upvote 0

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what that would be from (keep a close eye on it in case it spreads). If it did get stung, not much to be done about it but hope the fish learned a lesson not to be repeated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
JATReef

JATReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what that would be from (keep a close eye on it in case it spreads). If it did get stung, not much to be done about it but hope the fish learned a lesson not to be repeated.
Yes i will do, i will check again first thing. I am wondering weather to run a bacterial infection treatment. But don't want to jump the gun on anything.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JATReef

JATReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish is okay this morning although still doesn't appear to be looking for food. White patch is spreading a little. All other fish appear to be okay and acting completely normal.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JATReef

JATReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided this morning to run a bacterial treatment. If it is a sting hopefully this will prevent an infection. If not, and it is an infection i have not come across before it will hopefully at least slow down the spread.

Upvote 0

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided this morning to run a bacterial treatment. If it is a sting hopefully this will prevent an infection. If not, and it is an infection i have not come across before it will hopefully at least slow down the spread.
Ya I would.. that’s definitely not a sting. Not on that part of the head. That’s actually a common place for infections to appear. And the fact it’s spreading. Confirms that. A sting Is a one and done thing usually only will get better.. plus like I said. Bta stings usually don’t bother fish.. in my experience they don’t leave a mark.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JATReef

JATReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I would.. that’s definitely not a sting. Not on that part of the head. That’s actually a common place for infections to appear. And the fact it’s spreading. Confirms that. A sting Is a one and done thing usually only will get better.. plus like I said. Bta stings usually don’t bother fish.. in my experience they don’t leave a mark.
Yeah, i have been keeping BTA's for years and never seen anything like this. 12 hours post treatment and white patch is almost gone, fish is still acting a little sluggish though.

Upvote 0

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back