Potentially 'reef safe' fish that ended up being a great addition to your reef tank? Bad luck with 'reef safe' fish?

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You hear about all the cautions for some fish. X might may or may not pick at your coral, it depends on bla.

Which fish have you had great luck keeping with your corals that weren't considered reef safe?

Which fish have you had bad luck keeping with your corals that were considered reef safe?

Same question but for fish that are considered 50/50?

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had good luck with a flame angel, multibar angel, copperband butterflyfish, and orange spotted filefish.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You hear about all the cautions for some fish. X might may or may not pick at your coral, it depends on bla.

Which fish have you had great luck keeping with your corals that weren't considered reef safe?

Which fish have you had bad luck keeping with your corals that were considered reef safe?

My regal angel is very well behaved with corals. No issues at all weird enough

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve had luck with a few RSWC fish;
- Copperband Butterflyfish
- Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish
- Regal Angel
- Majestic Angel
- Coral Beauty Angels
- Jade Wrasse (they’re known invert munchers)
- Iridis Wrasses (they’re known invert munchers)
- Magnificent Foxfaces
- Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (Risky with clams)

And I have had bad luck with linear blennies in SPS systems, most other blennies are fine.

All I will say is the key to keeping these fish in reef systems is to avoid corals they will 100% eat (Zoas, Scolys, Trachys, Chalices, Acans/Micros). However, even then Majestic Angels are said to munch on softies and she ignores them.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had great success a few years back with a pair of longnose butterflies, but they were unfortunately assassinated by an anemone. Currently testing my luck with a pair of bird wrasses, I got them both under an inch long and they've grown up with the crabs and snails in the tank, so far so good after a year.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please, don’t give my mum hope…
Haha, I'm assuming that's in reference to the puffer. I've had mixed experience with porcupines. They are either really calm and don't care about anything, or they try to murder everything in the tank. There was no in between.

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I'm assuming that's in reference to the puffer. I've had mixed experience with porcupines. They are either really calm and don't care about anything, or they try to murder everything in the tank. There was no in between.
Honestly, I’d be fine for a calm puffer and just rehome it after it gets too big… but the risk I feel is too large lol

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
List of corals in my tanks

gorgonian
nephthea
zoas
palys
gsp
monti
sticks
euphylia
leather
mushrooms

Current fish:
Flame angel- safe
Blue face angel (juv) - when hungry, picks at gorgonian sometimes. But i still see polyp extension.
emperor (juv) - safe
poma - safe
asfur - safe

Fish that are no longer in my aquarium:
copperband - took care of all the aptasia and feather dusters
long nose butterfly - safe
blue ring angel - safe
majestic angel - safe
pyramid butterfly - safe

to be fair, i feed my fish a lot of food 3 to 8 times a day. Not because I don't want them picking at my coral, but a fish that is eating is a healthy fish imo.
What I am most shocked is my zoas aren't being touched. I am sure when they get bigger it will be a light snack, but atm... they are safe.

I plan on adding a majestic, copperband and a regal

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Lemonpeel Angel hasn't bothered anything yet. I've got zoas, leathers, duncans, hammers, gsp, star polyps and some mushrooms. The devil has been my Flame Hawkfish. Not eating anything, but I can't put anything on a rock without gluing it down or it ends up in the sand almost immediately. I had to relocate my Maxima Clam 3 times before I found a spot that he'd leave it alone.

I'm convinced he thinks it's a game.

I'm rolling the dice and adding a Coral Beauty this weekend. Fingers crossed that he'll get along with the coral, and that the Lemonpeel will get along with him.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back