OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More fishy pics. The square spot anthias are starting to come out. They are pretty cool (and big) fish.

E2AE0235-931F-4CCF-844F-FD383C61E64F.jpeg 82EF9573-8646-4421-AAD4-792051C079A2.jpeg

OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got the tank, I wondered about getting overflow covers, to prevent algae from growing in there etc. Mark C. told me not to, because fish will jump on them.

A month later, I was ordering some acrylic stuff from Melev's Reef, and we decided to make covers anyhow, which were then installed.

Well, Mark C. was correct. My replacement borbonius went in Wed and hopefully will be as outgoing as my first. And that is a painful fish to replace...

My purple square anthias are swimming around a lot now. It took a while for the large one to start eating - would sample mysis and then spit out. I went through brine shrimp, marine scene, flakes, pellets with no visible feeding frenzy. I finally found some frozen "reef plankton" in my freezer that did the trick -fish seems much more assertive and is feeding well. Whew!

Thinking of adding a sand sifting or otherwise interesting goby - any suggestions? I don't want one that is going to bury everything in the tank (e.g. Yellow head). Maybe a orange spot?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got an orange spot goby (I had 2 but their jumpers and go like lighting) and he keeps the sand spotless, and doesn’t throw it up in the air and all around. He just chews it and spits it out at the bottom.

He does rearrange it like an ‘earth mover’

TPE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice setup, I am in the process of finalizing an MRC ISump and refugium/ frag tank for my current 210 gallon tank; possibly upgrading to larger tank this year.
What size is your refugium? What would you change on your sump and refugium if you did it over?
Thanks!

OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice setup, I am in the process of finalizing an MRC ISump and refugium/ frag tank for my current 210 gallon tank; possibly upgrading to larger tank this year.
What size is your refugium? What would you change on your sump and refugium if you did it over?
Thanks!

. The fuge is 60x18x18. It is above the sump and doesn’t leave a lot of room for top access. I’d have made it about 12” tall I think but not a big deal. Sump is awesome. It’s made for socks not a roller mat- but given the uv there isn’t much that could have been done to incorporate it.

TPE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks!
I am still deciding on a tank upgrade which will determine the sump and refugium layout while trying to not have any regrets down the road.

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered making an egg crate or similar barrier above your overflow to keep the fish from sunbathing under the radions?
Beautiful build BTW!

OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered making an egg crate or similar barrier above your overflow to keep the fish from sunbathing under the radions?
Beautiful build BTW!
Yes! Am thinking of a vertical wall of egg crate as an extension of the overflow walls. Just need to figure out how to mount it. Any ideas?

OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting view of the starfish! Tank is doing well. Have been dosing trace elements (reef moonshine @PSXerholic). Starting to see alkalinity consumption go up and some corals displaying growth. Some are still struggling. Hopefully we can get the chemistry stabilized soon and get everyone rocking.

8CEBBAD6-A086-44D6-BB01-D5A49E205842.jpeg

AZ_Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well put. We are forcing an integration between two parties that don't want to make it happen.

My method - which I found on a neptune forum (thus making in not really mine) works for iOS and for Safari but not Chrome.

Next - steps to finding the right URL to add.
1. Find the PUBLIC URL for your NEST Camera after enabling public sharing.
2. Verify you can view the URL in browser tab. I use CHROME for this whole sequence. (EVB - past url into browser).
3. Right Click - choose INSPECT (NOT View Source). (EVB: View, Developer, Inspect Element)
Use CTRL-F or CMD-F (for FIND). type MPEG and it should scroll to the right line in the code
This is the line you want to COPY/PASTE into FUSION.
The type is MPEG-4. I pasted the data including everything past the playlist.m3u8 like this:

...playlist.m3u8?public=fx6waNeaOT

there was more code past that but I didn't include it.
Hello - which best camera are you using?

OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update on the tank. When I put the three squarespots in, two hid all the time, and one is out all the time. Well, the two perished. The first two go I found on the mp40. The second one had a lesion on his back, which then ruptured, and then vanished. So we have one.

DC7B27FF-0BAF-4A87-A9B3-42038E3EFDBA.jpeg
Have been working on a better barrier on the right side. It is not used as much so I don’t think hinged is needed. I’m going to hang a screen from above. Pictures once done.

Have added a lot of coral from a local reefer. It’s going well. Here is some video

Here is my Walt Disney. Getting good PE and growth starting 4A399A19-D1F4-4F83-A8E2-5B394854E986.jpeg

Last edited:

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some new shrooms!

89923ECF-37CA-4C92-B927-17B791B24801.jpeg

Nice!

I've always been hesitant about mushrooms. When I first started a reef tank I had some that almost took over the tank ;Rage. But they were the bland brown ones.

I have one type now, really nice purple with yellow spots. I have it on a rock on the sand and already what has happened is that they multiply on the rock and then detach and float around until they land somewhere. This has happened twice and both times I got rid of the "floaters".

Not sure if all mushroom species can be invasive...

OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!

I've always been hesitant about mushrooms. When I first started a reef tank I had some that almost took over the tank ;Rage. But they were the bland brown ones.

I have one type now, really nice purple with yellow spots. I have it on a rock on the sand and already what has happened is that they multiply on the rock and then detach and float around until they land somewhere. This has happened twice and both times I got rid of the "floaters".

Not sure if all mushroom species can be invasive...
My awesome orange purple Ricordia just produced an offspring. Those I will take!

5C7BAABC-9F9C-4F9A-9EBD-9B08F4388918.jpeg

Trand1983

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some unexpected aggression with my wrasses. Hopefully it resolves. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ruby-headed-fairy-wrasse-behavior.702276/

Was able to get the Deltec CRTT 3000 installed today. Once connected, as Shaun said, it’s pretty simple. Am trying to get the feed rate set to match my old alk dose. Once I have it dialed in I will keep the alk juice as a backup, and once my trident moves over, will likely use the dos in case alk drops. Still a bunch of coral to move over before the trident shifts.
What media are you using in your CRTT 3000?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back