Ruby Headed Fairy Wrasse Behavior

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6-7" Ruby Headed Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura) that I have had for several years. Recently upgraded the tank in late Jan. Fish have been stable. A week ago, after having to reaquascape to catch a murderous yellow tang, I added a much smaller Solon Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus solorensis). About a day or two later, my very active Ruby bolted to the rocks, where he has been ever since. There was zero aggression between the fish, and the size differential is enormous. There is a carpenter's wrasse in the tank as well, along with a bunch of tangs and other fishes.

The first few days, I only saw the wrasse peeking out of rocks and I assumed he was sick and that I needed to do last rites. However, he is starting to come out more and is feeding. Does not have any visible issues. But definitely not swimming boldly around like before - he was the showoff of the tank.

The shop where I got the Solon wrasse is the same shop I have gotten 90% of my fish, including the other wrasses. They quarantine with copper for 2 weeks before they sell their fish and I trust that they do it seriously. The only other fish in the tank went through an exhaustive quarantine procedure.

Any ideas what is going on? Is this sick behavior? Wrasse-wrasse interactions? Some weird wrasse thing that I'm unaware of? Coronavirus?

Many thanks, Ed

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the wrasse gurus, these two species should not be mixed together. The established fish must be feeling some aggression or it would not be hiding. Perhaps the aggression happened early on while you were not watching the tank. Other than that, I have nothing. Hope you get it worked out.

OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - I thought all fairies were fine together - apparently not! This chart puts them in the same complex but not in a forbidden sub group. Hopefully this will resolve. No idea how to extract a wrasse from the tank without total destruction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the wrasse gurus, these two species should not be mixed together. The established fish must be feeling some aggression or it would not be hiding. Perhaps the aggression happened early on while you were not watching the tank. Other than that, I have nothing. Hope you get it worked out.
Super helpful. I really didn’t see aggression but I bet that’s what’s going on. Didn’t realize the Solon was so aggressive since he’s so small. Thanks for pointing me to the wrasse experts!

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a melunarus, solor and i rescued a ruby headed fairy, i only took the ruby because i was told and read that i shouldnt have any issues with these combinations of wrasse. I also have 2 clowns, bi color blenny, royal gramma, exquisite firefish and a blue green chomis. The only change in the tank was that addition of the ruby. I used a eshopps tankilmate and everything but once he was out he began outright going after everything withing the course of 2 days he killed my much larger and LOVED melunarus and my juvenile Solor which was S.O fav. The entire tank now seems like its not at all peaceful and everything is in a state of constant tension. I hate senseless loss of life and especially at my hand. Only after this did i dig up info from like 2010 that talked about the super aggression and possible complications. IF i wanted to do that i would of gotten my favorite fish ever which is a mystery wrasse. i am so angry and upset that i let that happen and i lost some multi year pets. My once happy swimming fish are now all basically all staying very close to what they think is their hideout. So thats been my experience so far.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back