Potters angel questions

Reef Keeper 18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I absolutely fell in love with a potters angel today at my lfs and brought it home. Any ways I can discourage the nipping of coral polyps so I don't have to bring this beauty back? Also I heard they are picky eaters somewhat and was wondering if live brine shrimp as well as the feeding of mysis shrimp will promote good health. Thanks guys

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure that you have algae sheets available. Dwarf angels are omnivores and sometimes when they are pecking at corals they are trying to eat algae. Good luck with the new addition.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of my current 6 dwarf angels, my potter's seems to be the one that bothers my corals the least.

Lots of mature live rock goes a lot when with potter's, they like to graze all day long. Mine is a pig; Rod's food (( 3 different types )) LifeLine's Herbivore mix, Prime Reef, clams on the half-shell, and Spectrum pellets.

threein1.jpg

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To deter from picking at coral, feed small amounts frequently. I use the Eheim auto-feeder, feeding small amounts four times a day. Then you can feed on top of that - I literally toss in Spectrum pellets every time I pass the tank (probably 8 times a day). I also feed frozen once an day and constantly keep Nori on an algae clip in the tank. Most Centropyge won't actually eat coral, just pick at it. Keep them occupied by feeding copious frequently throughout the day.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to have to disagree abit -- been keeping Centropyge angels for the last 20 years or so, and currently have 6 of them. There is one thing in common, they love fleshy LPS, to the point of destroying them in short order. Even my Venustus angel, who won't touch other corals, goes nuts for Trachyphyllia and Cynarina LPS. Even after eating a good sized meal it would be back eating the coral.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is one thing in common, they love fleshy LPS, to the point of destroying them in short order. Even my Venustus angel, who won't touch other corals, goes nuts for Trachyphyllia and Cynarina LPS. Even after eating a good sized meal it would be back eating the coral.
True story. Any fleshy coral = fair game for angels. With that said big time "swaying" coral, as seen in Euphyllia species fair well with dwarfs IME.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to have to disagree abit -- been keeping Centropyge angels for the last 20 years or so, and currently have 6 of them. There is one thing in common, they love fleshy LPS, to the point of destroying them in short order. Even my Venustus angel, who won't touch other corals, goes nuts for Trachyphyllia and Cynarina LPS. Even after eating a good sized meal it would be back eating the coral.

I agree. I just rehomed my lemon peel on Saturday night and now my corals that I thought I was going to lose look great. The corals that were doing poorly were chalices and acans. Also, my clam is looking MUCH better.

Never trust a dwarf angel.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I just rehomed my lemon peel on Saturday night and now my corals that I thought I was going to lose look great. The corals that were doing poorly were chalices and acans. Also, my clam is looking MUCH better.

Never trust a dwarf angel.

Funny enough, I have never had issues with any of mine with my clams - I think that has more to do with blind luck than anything else. But, anything I put with any of my dwarfs I count on losing (( mainly a back up plan )), and am pleased if they don't bother it.

Flamepair7.jpg

venustusandbeauty.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 46.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back