Scribbled: to buy or not to buy

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my LFS just got in a 6-7" male scribbled angel from Aussie. Beautiful fish. Eating well even though extremely shy. they are asking $600 for the fish. What do you all think? Yay or nay?

fish are fed strictly frozen mysis, brine, chopped shrimp, nori with garlic and selcon mixed in.

Current inhabitants

4" emperor
4" blue face
4" asfur
2.5" flame (real *****)
5" sailfin
4" scopas

I have on order and should arrive tomorrow

4" majestic angel
4" moorish idol
3" white tail tang

Last edited:

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my LFS just got in a 6-7" male scribbled from Aussie. Beautiful fish. Eating well even though extremely shy. they are asking $600 for the fish. What do you all think? Yay or nay?

fish are fed strictly frozen mysis, brine, chopped shrimp, nori with garlic and selcon mixed in.

Current inhabitants

4" emperor
4" blue face
4" asfur
2.5" flame (real *****)
5" sailfin
4" scopas

4" majestic angel
4" moorish idol
3" white tail tang
Scribbled boxfish? If your tanks big enough than go for it, just make sure he dosent get overcrowded at feeding

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick check would seem to indicate that's not a bad price for one (scribbled angelfish). I have 5 angels in my tank (including a 6-7" emperor) and a half dozen or so wrasses and tangs and they generally all get along. The emperor is definitely "top dog" (or "top d**k", depending on your viewpoint) in my tank.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it turns out I'm an idiot, scribbled angelfish. Looks like angelfish do good in your setup, you already have alot of large angels so keep an eye on those nutrients, again, go for it! Just watch for aggression

OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was hoping the for the tang police and angel police to tell me how bad my emperor, blue face, asfur, sailfin will be.

I dropped $500 for a scribbled before and it died within 4 days. It didn't look very healthy in quarantine so I desperately add it to the display. It died a day later.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was hoping the for the tang police and angel police to tell me how bad my emperor, blue face, asfur, sailfin will be.

I dropped $500 for a scribbled before and it died within 4 days. It didn't look very healthy in quarantine so I desperately add it to the display. It died a day later.
Sorry to hear about your last scribbled, second times the charm, if you do get him, I wish you luck! (Though make sure your tank can handle that)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang police can be bought and paid for. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my LFS just got in a 6-7" male scribbled angel from Aussie. Beautiful fish. Eating well even though extremely shy. they are asking $600 for the fish. What do you all think? Yay or nay?

Current inhabitants

4" emperor
4" blue face
4" asfur
2.5" flame (real *****)
5" sailfin
4" scopas

4" majestic angel
4" moorish idol
3" white tail tang
I would go for it assuming your tank is giant. You’ll also want to add a second and maybe third similar bodied fish (or even angel) when adding that majestic as it may get beaten on during introduction.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Current inhabitants

4" emperor
4" blue face
4" asfur
2.5" flame (real *****)
5" sailfin
4" scopas

4" majestic angel
4" moorish idol
3" white tail tang
That’s some evo 13.5 stocking list. Lol. Great fish list already. if it looks clean, it’s eating, and u have a Qt or get Qt stock then why not. Adding them same time may help them mitigate possible aggression.

OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go for it assuming your tank is giant. You’ll also want to add a second and maybe third similar bodied fish (or even angel) when adding that majestic as it may get beaten on during introduction.

when you say giant, I assume 6' tank is sufficient.

Honestly, i plan to get rid of my RS 750 XXL soon and get a 7' aquarium. Probably a 240g. Right now, my house is under renovations so it will have to wait. I am thinking another year or so.

I thought about adding another fish similar to the majestic to reduce the aggression on one fish. However, the poma wasn't available. I thought about a French or a blue ring.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you say giant, I assume 6' tank is sufficient.

Honestly, i plan to get rid of my RS 750 XXL soon and get a 7' aquarium. Probably a 240g. Right now, my house is under renovations so it will have to wait. I am thinking another year or so.

I thought about adding another fish similar to the majestic to reduce the aggression on one fish. However, the poma wasn't available. I thought about a French or a blue ring.
6' is pretty big, 120? 180? 225? How many gallons? Though you would be pushing it, that's alot of big fish

OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6' is pretty big, 120? 180? 225? How many gallons? Though you would be pushing it, that's alot of big fish
160g tank, 200g system

I do have a 12' 560g aquarium i can convert from cichlids to saltwater. However, I can't imagine the cost to keep that tank running.

mokmok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of my all time favourite large angel and 600$ is not expensive ( here in Thailand it's around 800 )
especially when he get adapted , he will be one of the most active / show-off and chasing hand fish to your tank

only 6" may be quite big for 160G .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back