What wrasse can I add?

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 170G 6' long tank. I just got my first cirrhilabrus wrasses (carpenters) and I love it. I am looking to add more cirrhilabrus wrasses. Any ideas?

Current inhabitants

scopas tang
sail fin tang
two midas blenny
two orchid dottyback
emperor angel (juv)
blue face angel (juv)
flame angel
2 bangaii cardinal
1 pyjama cardinal
1 fire fish

in the future for sure. Just slowly adding fish right now

asfur angel
majestic angel
some sort of anthias not sure yet (maybe 4-6)
copperband
2-3 pyramid butterfly
long nose butterfly

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That many large angels makes me nervous.

But, anyway, about wrasses:
The Carpenter's is probably the flasher, Parachelinus genus, rather than a fairy. It won't care one way or the other about fairies.

Besides the 2 orchid dottys, I don't see anything else that would bother wrasses.

With a 6 foot tank, any of the fairies should be fine. I would pick bigger ones, like 1 from the solar complex, and maybe Katherine's, and maybe Labout's etc. It's kind of up to you what you like, what is available to you, and your price range.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A nice utilitarian fish that eats pests like a bright yellow coris wrasse.

Attachments

• 20220629_124055.jpg
    20220629_124055.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 58

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 170G 6' long tank. I just got my first cirrhilabrus wrasses (carpenters) and I love it. I am looking to add more cirrhilabrus wrasses. Any ideas?

Current inhabitants

scopas tang
sail fin tang
two midas blenny
two orchid dottyback
emperor angel (juv)
blue face angel (juv)
flame angel
2 bangaii cardinal
1 pyjama cardinal
1 fire fish

asfur angel
majestic angel
copperband
2-3 pyramid butterfly
long nose butterfly
The ‘Carpenters’ Isn’t of the Cirrhilabrus genus but is instead of the Paracheilinus genus :)

As for other wrasses we need a bit more info;
Sandbed?
Price Range?
Difficulty?

OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ‘Carpenters’ Isn’t of the Cirrhilabrus genus but is instead of the Paracheilinus genus :)

As for other wrasses we need a bit more info;
Sandbed?
Price Range?
Difficulty?

Sand: Yes, about 2-3"
Price < $200
Difficulty: easier would be better. Once the fish goes into the tank, i feed them 4x a day with mysis and brine with selcon. Other than that, tank is quite stable. I have a 40w UV @ 250 gph that runs 24/7 to control velvet/ich. All my fish get velvet at one point or another. Either they power through or they die. I have given up all hopes of eradication.

I am actually thinking getting a bigger UV like a 57w or 90w to increase flow to further control velvet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That many large angels makes me nervous.

But, anyway, about wrasses:
The Carpenter's is probably the flasher, Parachelinus genus, rather than a fairy. It won't care one way or the other about fairies.

Besides the 2 orchid dottys, I don't see anything else that would bother wrasses.

With a 6 foot tank, any of the fairies should be fine. I would pick bigger ones, like 1 from the solar complex, and maybe Katherine's, and maybe Labout's etc. It's kind of up to you what you like, what is available to you, and your price range.

I think my zoas are more nervous about the angels than you are. So angels has always been my thing. I would not be into saltwater if it wasn't for them. Nothing looks better than a tank full of large angels and butterflies with sps in the background.

shows you how much i know about wrasses. I have never kept them other than a 6line, cleaner, and a gold nugget.
I think having angels with wrasses in the background looks really good.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to say pretty much any reef safe wrasse and maybe others being it sounds like you're doing a FOWLR with non-reef safe angels. I have kept a whole variety of wrasses over the years and never had an aggression problem other than maybe a sixline chasing someone. So many flashers and fairies to pick from. And yeah, any tank of mine always has Angels but dwarfs/pygmies. Multicolor, orange peel, flame, flameback, bicolor right now in my 200g.

In my tank with dwarf angels, tangs, clowns, misc. I currently have (and adding more starting with probably a ruby)
pintail, lubbock's, melanurus (pest control), sixline (pest control), cleaner (just passed at 9 years)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of wrasses, the best thing to do is if you look through these genera and make a list of ones that stand out to you then we can go through the list with what will be compatible with eachother and such.
The genera I’m referring to are;
Halichoeres
Macropharyngodon
Anampses
Xenojulis
Cirrhilabrus
Paracheilinus

OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I am thinking for my list. Of those, what can I keep together? There are three I really like and want to keep.

lubbocki
yellow coris
naokoae - Must have!
Orange back (aurantidorsalis)
rubrisquamis
exquisitus
cyanogularis - Must have!
scrottorum - Must have!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I am thinking for my list. Of those, what can I keep together? There are three I really like and want to keep.

lubbocki
yellow coris
naokoae - Must have!
rubrisquamis
exquisitus
scrottorum - Must have!
Scottorum is unfortunately too aggressive to be with any other peaceful wrasses but the Naokoae, Cyanogularis, Rubriquamis, Aurantidorsalis, Lubbocki, Yellow and Exquisitus can go together with caution on the Cyanogularis and Rubrisquamis - you’ll want to introduce them closer to the end :)

OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to say pretty much any reef safe wrasse and maybe others being it sounds like you're doing a FOWLR with non-reef safe angels. I have kept a whole variety of wrasses over the years and never had an aggression problem other than maybe a sixline chasing someone. So many flashers and fairies to pick from. And yeah, any tank of mine always has Angels but dwarfs/pygmies. Multicolor, orange peel, flame, flameback, bicolor right now in my 200g.

In my tank with dwarf angels, tangs, clowns, misc. I currently have (and adding more starting with probably a ruby)
pintail, lubbock's, melanurus (pest control), sixline (pest control), cleaner (just passed at 9 years)
no, it will be a reef. Only keeping sps and some euphylias.

OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scottorum is unfortunately too aggressive to be with any other peaceful wrasses but the Naokoae, Cyanogularis, Rubriquamis, Aurantidorsalis, Lubbocki, Yellow and Exquisitus can go together with caution on the Cyanogularis and Rubrisquamis - you’ll want to introduce them closer to the end :)

man, that is too bad on the scottorum. Got a chance to get a 4" specimen for $60.
depends on the supplier, I might be able to get all these in at once. Maybe a delay the cyanogulari and rubriquamis to later

What do you think of adding the fliamentosus in addition to the carpenteri?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man, that is too bad on the scottorum. Got a chance to get a 4" specimen for $60.
depends on the supplier, I might be able to get all these in at once. Maybe a delay the cyanogulari and rubriquamis to later

Filamentosus and carpenteri are perfect with eachother, it will really bring out the colours of both specimens :)

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on which filamentosus you're referring to... Cirrhilabrus filamentosus is aggressive and does not mix with other wrasses, Paracheilinus filamentosus would be a good choice.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lubbocki
yellow coris
naokoae - Must have!
rubrisquamis
exquisitus
scrottorum - Must have!
Well, I'm going to tell you this... Naokoae is known to not ship very well so beware. I took a chance and bought $100 one (was a beautiful male) from NY Aquatic which arrived half dead/dead in hours along with a green coris that had an ulcer eating into it on both sides and was dead in the bag. Done with NYA and got an actual refund. I probably won't buy another Naokoae unless I find one local. I did get a very nice Lubbocki multi and a much smaller than expected powder blue tang though.

w1.jpg

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Current inhabitants

scopas tang
sail fin tang
two midas blenny
two orchid dottyback
emperor angel (juv)
blue face angel (juv)
flame angel
2 bangaii cardinal
1 pyjama cardinal
1 fire fish

asfur angel
majestic angel
copperband
2-3 pyramid butterfly
long nose butterfly
if you have sand melannarus are really cool they are not the type of wrasse you are looking for but def look into them, really pretty fish just make sure to get a male.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back