Powder Blue and Purple Tang in one tank???

jacqueline1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon FOWLR tank and it's 6 feet long. I have live rock with quite a few caves! I love purple tangs so much, but I love powder blues as well. They would be the only big fish in the tank as I only have 4 clownfish and a yellow watchman with plans to get a midas blenny and some kind of dwarf angelfish. I was curious what people thought about getting both???

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the time I would say go for it. My experience with acanthurus especially the blue. Very aggressive and boisterous by nature so may stress out the rest of your inhabitants. That's one thing I would consider. :)

OP
OP
jacqueline1989

jacqueline1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the time I would say go for it. My experience with acanthurus especially the blue. Very aggressive and boisterous by nature so may stress out the rest of your inhabitants. That's one thing I would consider. :)
I've had one before so I'm kinda used to their personality haha

OP
OP
jacqueline1989

jacqueline1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a purple tang just last night. There were powder blues at the fish store yesterday. Do you think it would be fine if I got the powder blue today and that would be okay? The purple tang has necessarily gotten completely comfortable in the tank

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a purple tang just last night. There were powder blues at the fish store yesterday. Do you think it would be fine if I got the powder blue today and that would be okay? The purple tang has necessarily gotten completely comfortable in the tank
Depending on temperament. Each fish has a personality. Is the purple acting bold? Powder blue is usually more aggressive so he'll be fine to hold his own. Hopefully..I've read psycho cases on purple tangs. I'd say go for it. Turn all the lights off for the day let them settle in. If they tussle a bit but not actually fighting I'd let them establish order. If it gets outta hand I'd try the mirror trick or an acclimation box. I'd love to see pics when you have them both established. :) good luck

OP
OP
jacqueline1989

jacqueline1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on temperament. Each fish has a personality. Is the purple acting bold? Powder blue is usually more aggressive so he'll be fine to hold his own. Hopefully..I've read psycho cases on purple tangs. I'd say go for it. Turn all the lights off for the day let them settle in. If they tussle a bit but not actually fighting I'd let them establish order. If it gets outta hand I'd try the mirror trick or an acclimation box. I'd love to see pics when you have them both established. :) good luck
The purple tang doesn't seem to be bold. He's been hiding in caves all day. I was planning on turning off lights and hopefully it goes well! Thanks for your input

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder Blue can get fairly large. After a few years, I think the PBT will out grow the 120 gal tank. They can be aggressive if crowned, or get sick when stressed. I gues that is one of the reason PBT is consider difficult and is an Ich magnet.

Once established and crowned PBT can be a terror to new fish.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon FOWLR tank and it's 6 feet long. I have live rock with quite a few caves! I love purple tangs so much, but I love powder blues as well. They would be the only big fish in the tank as I only have 4 clownfish and a yellow watchman with plans to get a midas blenny and some kind of dwarf angelfish. I was curious what people thought about getting both???
Im doing it, the powder blue is in the tank now, the purple will be in next weekend! Purple is quite a bit bigger than the powder blue

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have PBT and Purple tang in my reef. I had large reefs. Currently it is a 320 gal and before it was 420 gal tanks.
IMHO, BPT is THE MOST BEAUTIFUL of the tangs that we can keep in large reef tangs.

Mike1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a powder blue and a purple tang in the same tank that’s not really a problem and I didn’t put them in at the same time. The powder blue went in a couple years later (it was actually 2 powder blues but that’s another story haha) with out any issues an acclimation box would help out a lot. The problem comes when you say powder blue and powder brown/Achilles now we have problems (tang wars)haha

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back