Powder Blue Tangs

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After looking through a lot of threads, I see a lot of comments on the Power Blue Tangs, mostly being aggressive. I would love to hear from everyone who has one on their experience.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for about a year without any problem at all . Actually was a very nice fish and didn't cause no problems. Was housed with a regal hippo tang, foxface ,pair of clowns and a pair of chromis.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience he’s been dominant, not aggressive. One of my favorite fish across both of my tanks, if not the most.

IMG_1930.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EVIL. Mine killed a tusk, then went after my tiny yellow tang and almost killed him and went after my purple tang. I had it at that point. Had to re home her. So sad cause she was beautiful. I have a powder brown now, he is way better. Second to my purple tang who is tank boss but not aggressive. Under rated as far as beauty I think!

Attachments

• IMG_4044.jpeg
    IMG_4044.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 41

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish but risky. I’d highly suggest you QT first and add the PBT to the tank last. It will likely go after any subsequent additions.

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 270 gallon tank that has both an Achilles and a PBT. They were both added at the same time. The Achilles was significantly larger compared to the PBT. If you know Achilles tangs, they are very active fish and can be very aggressive. The PBT easily holds his own. Any new fish additions are definitely not tolerated. He is mean but I couldn’t have a tank without him. Definitely worth it!

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Largely depends on the tank and the tank mates. In a tank where you have a single tang more likely than not that PBT will become a terror. In a tank with multiple tangs that is appropriately sized and really well fed? Not likely to be a huge deal. How you add fish will be important. If you add a single fish, that poor fish will not likely be tolerated. If you add 3-4 at a time most of the time the aggression is better distributed and more about establishing pecking orders for a short period of time. Will you hear horror stories every now and then? Of course you will. Will it be okay a good percent of the time? Absolutely. In my tank, one of my yellows rules the pack. I have two yellows, a gem, and added a hippo today. My powder blue is in quarantine right now with a flame tip and they swim together all day long. Today the big yellow reminded everyone in the tank that he is boss for about 15 minutes and then he went back to eating nori and acting superior.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have my 6 year old in 150 gallons. Yes, he is king and the others know it. That said, he really leaves everyone alone. I have a full grown yellow and purple tang. The Purple is trouble!

Attachments

• Blue.jpg
    Blue.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 16

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
After looking through a lot of threads, I see a lot of comments on the Power Blue Tangs, mostly being aggressive. I would love to hear from everyone who has one on their experience.
Mine can be a nightmare at times- As bad as a sohal tang

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one in my Avatar lived for 17 years and was the most dominant fish in my tank. Even using an acclimation box for new additions it sometimes had to be removed for a few days…

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back