Powder Blue ich and ??

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks Jay. By chance do you know the name of the popular fish medication that is available by RX only, or people buy it on ebay but it often comes at the wrong strength or isn't as affective. The reason why I ask is, I am taking my dog to the vet tonight and I want to ask my vet for a rx of it. Just for the future in the even that I need it. Thanks again for all your knowledge. Sure is nice having resources that are so easy to get in touch with. Can't imagine what it was like in the reefing community 20 years ago.

Sorry - I'm not sure what medication you are referring to. Most veterinarians won't prescribe you meds for fish though, they usually need to see the patient.

Back in the old days, people used to buy fish medications and take them for themselves to save money. Back in the 1970's, I worked in a pet store and people would come in and buy various antibiotics....but they didn't even have a fish tank (grin).

More recently, vendors selling chloroquine were all sent cease and desist orders by the FDA...due to people buying it to try and treat Covid.

Jay

OP
OP
B

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I'm not sure what medication you are referring to. Most veterinarians won't prescribe you meds for fish though, they usually need to see the patient.

Back in the old days, people used to buy fish medications and take them for themselves to save money. Back in the 1970's, I worked in a pet store and people would come in and buy various antibiotics....but they didn't even have a fish tank (grin).

More recently, vendors selling chloroquine were all sent cease and desist orders by the FDA...due to people buying it to try and treat Covid.

Jay
I see. Ya I am talking about a specific medication that people have used to treat hydroids. Maybe it's fenbendazole? I can't remember. I couldn't remember if that was what was needed to treat hydroids, and if that was also used to treat fish too? The reason why I asked is I believe that I have some type of hydroids in one of my tanks. They are long white strands, that almost look like a string from a cotton tee shirt that had pulled loose if that fell in your tank and got hung up on a rock. I've noticed more and more of them. When I touch them with something they retract. When they touch a coral the coral seems irritated. I thought some type of hrdroid. I have taken a tweezers and plucked one and they almost seem to be like elastic. When pulled they stretch out and then break off. Anyway, I thought I read that fenbendazole is like the only thing that will kill them. So today when I was at my vet I was going to ask is I could get a rx. I wasn't sure if that's what I wanted, so I didn't ask. Anyway, I am pretty sure that is what I was after.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Ya I am talking about a specific medication that people have used to treat hydroids. Maybe it's fenbendazole? I can't remember. I couldn't remember if that was what was needed to treat hydroids, and if that was also used to treat fish too? The reason why I asked is I believe that I have some type of hydroids in one of my tanks. They are long white strands, that almost look like a string from a cotton tee shirt that had pulled loose if that fell in your tank and got hung up on a rock. I've noticed more and more of them. When I touch them with something they retract. When they touch a coral the coral seems irritated. I thought some type of hrdroid. I have taken a tweezers and plucked one and they almost seem to be like elastic. When pulled they stretch out and then break off. Anyway, I thought I read that fenbendazole is like the only thing that will kill them. So today when I was at my vet I was going to ask is I could get a rx. I wasn't sure if that's what I wanted, so I didn't ask. Anyway, I am pretty sure that is what I was after.

Fenbendazole is panacur, and anti-worm medication. It is best dosed orally. When added to water, I've seen some severe toxic reactions that varies by species.

I bet you are thinking of Flubendazole. It is used to kill hydroids in FW tanks, I bet folks have adapted it over to SW. It can kill other invertebrates (snails, maybe corals?)

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back