powder blue tang - 1000 gallon tank - had Ich 8 years ago - would you try it??

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all don’t qt, just get more losses. Second, ich doesn’t kill HEALTHY fish Third, ich Is always present in fish, regardless of qt. Fourth, ya powders are sensitive to new environments which stresses them immensely and most don’t make it, the presence of ich in near death or heavily stressed fish is a result in a reduced immune system.
Awful advice.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you qurantined it, I'd go for it. I did TTM on my Powder Blue. He was just about juvenile stage and once he went into display, he quickly bullied tangs twice his size and eventually outgrown the tangs he bullied.

Beefyreefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
First of all don’t qt, just get more losses. Second, ich doesn’t kill HEALTHY fish Third, ich Is always present in fish, regardless of qt. Fourth, ya powders are sensitive to new environments which stresses them immensely and most don’t make it, the presence of ich in near death or heavily stressed fish is a result in a reduced immune system.
Since everyone's upset about this, I'd venture to say this is mainly correct. I agree that a healthy fish will survive ich, Ive seen it with my eyes and so have countless others. To my knowledge no one has ever necessarily proven that quarantining makes fish some how healthier. I'd venture to say that at least as many fish perish from medicated QT as they do from ich. Stress does lead to fish deaths, and healthy stress free fish do survive marine ich, even tangs.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone is upset. I think most disagree with his statement. I disagree as well. My experience is if you know what you are doing and do it well, most fish survive QT and when they hit the display do fantastic. Ich will definitely kill healthy fish. I have seen and had healthy established fish in tank for months and even years get it and die from it. I do agree that stress is a factor and certainly makes fish such as PB's more susceptible to ich and other diseases and that some will get it and never miss a beat.

My last two attempts with PBs are one I did not QT. Within a month had ich, infected everyone else and died. The second I QT'd with copper power at 2.0 for 30 days and he is still swimming in my DT. never seen a spot on him or any other fish because they all get the same QT treatment (knock on wood!).

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A healthy acanthurus tang cannot survive ich. I know from personal experience. Other tangs are fine. The thin skinned ones will eventually fade away if ich is present.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since everyone's upset about this, I'd venture to say this is mainly correct. I agree that a healthy fish will survive ich, Ive seen it with my eyes and so have countless others. To my knowledge no one has ever necessarily proven that quarantining makes fish some how healthier. I'd venture to say that at least as many fish perish from medicated QT as they do from ich. Stress does lead to fish deaths, and healthy stress free fish do survive marine ich, even tangs.

Ich can without a doubt, wipe out completely healthy tanks, especially tangs. QT absolutely makes fish healthier and safe to add to DT, without fear of disease. There is proof everywhere it people who use QT and have disease free displays.

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've actually had 0 issues QT'ing new fish, and I'm a super noob in the SW game..
I follow Humblefish's hybrid TTM with h2o2 treatment and haven't killed anything yet. I ran a Blue eyed tang through with no issues, and currently have a cirrhilabrus isosceles going through that I've been paranoid about killing..
I haven't had a single death in my 120, aside from one of my black molly's disappearing after being normal and healthy for 3 months, and this is my first ever reef tank.

I'd spend some time looking throug PaulB's long post on how he does not ever QT, and compare with with Humblefish's methods. They've both had great success in their personal tanks for decades, one QT's religiously, the other doesn't believe in it at all.

OP
OP
FishTruck

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I know about the QT and not QT debate... pre-medicate and don't pre-medicate debate... and I have been on both sides of it and I know the pros and cons. I don't fault people either way.

I was mostly looking for anecdotes on the powder blue tang.

I'll say this though... If you are going to quote and follow the Paul B method, you have to follow the whole thing, which includes constantly feeding your fish LIVE FOOD, using actual Ocean water, having a very mature tank, etc... I own his book "The Avant-Garde Marine Aquarist" - which is an absolute riot and I highly recommend it. There is a lot more in there than just the QT / live food part.

And... if you are going to QT - you have to do it right - or you will just kill fish in the QT. I have also read everything Humblefish has written.

I am currently using a 30 day QT method with selective copper and prazipro.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd venture to say this is mainly correct.

It's overly simplistic and not correct. First of all, quarantine is for more than just ick. Indeed, there are worse things that you can get in your tank. Had I not quarantined all new fish I'd have velvet, uronema and flukes. Also, QT is an excellent way of getting a new fish to a healthy weight - so not just for disease. Second, how do you define a 'healthy' fish …. it didn't die from ick therefore it was healthy; it did die from ick therefore it wasn't healthy. Laughable. There is no question that a fish population can co-exist with ick - just read the ick management sticky. But it is also true that a previously and observably disease free fish can die from it. Third, while ick may well be present in more tanks than their owners believe, it is possible to not have it. I do happen to think that QT has swung a bit too far to the blast-them-with-meds end of the spectrum. I much prefer an observation QT and medicate only if symptoms present. I cannot say whether I lose more fish to QT than non QT, since I don't do the latter. What i do know is that I have been much more successful in building a sizable and stable fish population since doing QT than before. YMMV.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I know about the QT and not QT debate... pre-medicate and don't pre-medicate debate... and I have been on both sides of it and I know the pros and cons. I don't fault people either way.

I was mostly looking for anecdotes on the powder blue tang.

I'll say this though... If you are going to quote and follow the Paul B method, you have to follow the whole thing, which includes constantly feeding your fish LIVE FOOD, using actual Ocean water, having a very mature tank, etc... I own his book "The Avant-Garde Marine Aquarist" - which is an absolute riot and I highly recommend it. There is a lot more in there than just the QT / live food part.

And... if you are going to QT - you have to do it right - or you will just kill fish in the QT. I have also read everything Humblefish has written.

I am currently using a 30 day QT method with selective copper and prazipro.

Well said. You know both sides of it and whatever you decide is a well informed decision. No one can force you to do anything. I agree with the fact that people sometimes take only a small portion of a methodology and then you see them in the 'Fish disease' section looking for ways to correct the situation. Research, find what works best for you, then own the results from it (good or bad).

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back