Powder Blue Tang Disease ID

ThatFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this powder blue tang a week ago for my reef tank and he looked pretty good when I first put him in the tank as well as he was nipping at all the algae on the rocks and eating the nori I had in the tank. The next day I noticed a band-aid shaped bruise on his left side where it kinda looked like he might have hit a rock. So I kept my eye on it making sure there was no fin rot, cloudy eyes, cloudy fins etc. The bruising has gone away and now there are just what seem to be open wounds that look clean on the left side. but now it looks like it may be starting on the right side because its looking very similar to the right side just minus the cuts along with some tail rot on the dorsal fin right by the tail fin. And he looks more white than powder blue (washed out) along with his face being more white than black. Ive been keeping nori sheets in the tank and hes been destroying that. I think it may be a bacterial infection but I am not too sure.
My parameters:
Ph- 8.1
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0
Salinity- 1.024

Tank Mates:
Scopas tang
2 Wyoming White clowns
2 P.J's

20190617_161715.jpg
20190617_161717.jpg

Not the greatest of pictures but its what he would let me take before he would go and hide in the rock work.
And I know I have a hair algae problem. It is a slow process but its going away.

OP
OP
ThatFishGuy

ThatFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this powder blue tang a week ago for my reef tank and he looked pretty good when I first put him in the tank as well as he was nipping at all the algae on the rocks and eating the nori I had in the tank. The next day I noticed a band-aid shaped bruise on his left side where it kinda looked like he might have hit a rock. So I kept my eye on it making sure there was no fin rot, cloudy eyes, cloudy fins etc. The bruising has gone away and now there are just what seem to be open wounds that look clean on the left side. but now it looks like it may be starting on the right side because its looking very similar to the right side just minus the cuts along with some tail rot on the dorsal fin right by the tail fin. And he looks more white than powder blue (washed out) along with his face being more white than black. Ive been keeping nori sheets in the tank and hes been destroying that. I think it may be a bacterial infection but I am not too sure.
My parameters:
Ph- 8.1
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0
Salinity- 1.024

Tank Mates:
Scopas tang
2 Wyoming White clowns
2 P.J's

20190617_161715.jpg
20190617_161717.jpg

Not the greatest of pictures but its what he would let me take before he would go and hide in the rock work.
And I know I have a hair algae problem. It is a slow process but its going away.
20190617_164531.jpg
right side. You can see more towards the upper back half of him where it may be starting

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
ThatFishGuy

ThatFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The washed out colors are a sign of serious stress. I think a bacterial infection is likely, but probably secondary to something parasitic unfortunately. If the tail/fins are looking tattered, flukes could be a possibility. A 5-minute freshwater dip would confirm/rule them out.

Do you have a QT?

OP
OP
ThatFishGuy

ThatFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The washed out colors are a sign of serious stress. I think a bacterial infection is likely, but probably secondary to something parasitic unfortunately. If the tail/fins are looking tattered, flukes could be a possibility. A 5-minute freshwater dip would confirm/rule them out.

Do you have a QT?
Yes I do have a QT. Kicking myself for not putting the tang in it when I first got him.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do have a QT. Kicking myself for not putting the tang in it when I first got him.

I’d do the fw dip first, followed by a ruby reef rally bath if you have it, en route to QT.

Depending on the results of the dip, you can make a plan for treatment. Do you have any antibiotics on hand?

OP
OP
ThatFishGuy

ThatFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do the fw dip first, followed by a ruby reef rally bath if you have it, en route to QT.

Depending on the results of the dip, you can make a plan for treatment. Do you have any antibiotics on hand?
Im not familiar with the ruby reef bath. Ive got kanaplex, neoplex, protoshield, bactershield, melafix and ofc copper on hand.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 52 40.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 64 50.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back