Powder Blue Tang feeding advice

dimidragos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! 10 days before i add a Powder Blue tang in my tank. The fish its under 3 inch in size and was really skinny and without power when i add him. He was swimming hard. I didn't use quarantine and i know that i can be blame for that but until now not any sign of sickness...knock on wood...He was not scared and he was not bullied by other fish that i have. He also start to eat from first day frozen artemia. I feed the fish 6 times per day first week and three - four times per day now.
The problem is that he don't want to eat any dry food, he even don't look at it. He don't eat dry algae also. Only frozen artemia and Gamma Nutraplus Brineshrimp Suspension. I try NLS (my other fish loves), Ocean Nutrition Formula one, formula two, flakes. I mix with Seachem Garlic also. He didn't take nothing.
How can i make him eat? I think to live them without food for one or two days or he is still weak and that can affect him? My other fishes are fat and healthy.
Maybe i can get some ideea...
Thanks

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he eating NOTHING now or still eating as he was before?

Give him the best brine shrimp and mysids you can get if that's all he'll eat.

With any luck he'll eventually come around to eating a better diet.

Try other marine food items that are more similar to brine shrimp like Reef Plankton and just be persistent and patient. Don't over-do it along the way. :)

Can you try some live foods?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason I've always had good luck with tangs taking to "Sally's Seaweed Salad".

Can to buy a nori clip and try that out?

OP
OP
dimidragos

dimidragos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason I've always had good luck with tangs taking to "Sally's Seaweed Salad".

Can to buy a nori clip and try that out?

I have a one nori clip and because was some fish around when i add nori i was thinking that he is scared maybe. I buy one more and add on the upper part of the tank where he stay more. Still didn't eat.

OP
OP
dimidragos

dimidragos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he eating NOTHING now or still eating as he was before?

Give him the best brine shrimp and mysids you can get if that's all he'll eat.

With any luck he'll eventually come around to eating a better diet.

Try other marine food items that are more similar to brine shrimp like Reef Plankton and just be persistent and patient. Don't over-do it along the way. :)
Can you try some live foods?

Now he eat only frozen artemia and Gamma Nutraplus Brineshrimp Suspension. His belly its big now but he still look skinny. His poo look like artemia only pale in color. He is in better condition that before when he arrive.

It's hard to find other food especialy live food, only of i can make some but i don't know how

What means " Don't over-do it along the way" , can you use other expression?? ;Nailbiting;Nailbiting

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a one nori clip and because was some fish around when i add nori i was thinking that he is scared maybe. I buy one more and add on the upper part of the tank where he stay more. Still didn't eat.

Be persistent and patient with this as well. There's nothing natural about noori-clips or dried seaweed, so it can take a while. Just put a little square up every day, removing any uneaten bits after no more than a day.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to sink Sally's Seaweed Salad on the floor with a rubberbanded rock.

Have you tried the Sally's Seaweed brand with an sunk'n rock?

OP
OP
dimidragos

dimidragos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be persistent and patient with this as well. There's nothing natural about noori-clips or dried seaweed, so it can take a while. Just put a little square up every day, removing any uneaten bits after no more than a day.

Yes i do that every day, there is not any left after two hours. Should i add more?

If i don't feed them for two days can be wrong now?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to find other food especialy live food, only of i can make some but i don't know how

I don't know what might be available locally, but blackworms and whiteworms are options to look for. Insect larva. Fish eggs aren't live, but are another excellent food item. Salmon eggs are on the larger size I think.

What means " Don't over-do it along the way" , can you use other expression?? ;Nailbiting;Nailbiting

Means just to offer small quantities of things but on a regular basis. :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i do that every day, there is not any left after two hours. Should i add more?

If i don't feed them for two days can be wrong now?

I take it this is from all the other fish eating it, not from the pbt?

It's fine to keep noori posted 100% of the time, so if it's getting eaten and you have plenty, go ahead. Hopefully he'll get a clue from his tankmates. :)

OP
OP
dimidragos

dimidragos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to sink Sally's Seaweed Salad on the floor with a rubberbanded rock.

Have you tried the Sally's Seaweed brand with an sunk'n rock?

I use ocean nutrition Seaweed. I will try to see if i can buy this from Ebay. But sometimes prices for shipping here make the product prohibitive...That's bad

OP
OP
dimidragos

dimidragos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it this is from all the other fish eating it, not from the pbt?

It's fine to keep noori posted 100% of the time, so if it's getting eaten and you have plenty, go ahead. Hopefully he'll get a clue from his tankmates. :)

Yes from the other fishes.
I'm afraid about the other fish to don't get sick, they are really fat....for this reason i add only one time per day untill now. I don't care if i overfeed, anyway i have 0 No3 and Po4....

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ocean nutrition Seaweed. I will try to see if i can buy this from Ebay. But sometimes prices for shipping here make the product prohibitive...That's bad
Sorry.. ;Sorry
I did not notice that your in Norway

I'd try what you got and sink it to the bottom with an rubberbanded rock.

Let him eat what he want's for now, but get him to eat nori over the long haul.

OP
OP
dimidragos

dimidragos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20180905_192931.jpg IMG_20180905_192936.jpg IMG_20180905_192938.jpg IMG_20180908_230102.jpg IMG_20180908_230323.jpg

OP
OP
dimidragos

dimidragos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The powder blue was added in same time and its so small but he eat everything. I hope the photos help, its pretty hard to take a good shoot.

OP
OP
dimidragos

dimidragos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what might be available locally, but blackworms and whiteworms are options to look for. Insect larva. Fish eggs aren't live, but are another excellent food item. Salmon eggs are on the larger size I think.

Means just to offer small quantities of things but on a regular basis. :)
Fish eggs i can find easy, i live close to the north sea. Thanks for translation:):)

OP
OP
dimidragos

dimidragos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, looks like all problems solves only if i wright here :):)...The good news is that PBT start to eat dry seaweed. I still wait your opinins about the photos.
Thanks

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back