powder blue tang ?

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

I'm looking to add a powder blue, I'm aware they can be tricky but would like to try.

My main question is I have a purple tang and a Scopas tang already, will it be ok to add one now ? If so what would be the best size to go for?

Tank is around 200 gallon

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say. Every fish is different

But as a general rule with tangs its same body shape that determines incompatibility

20210410_132051.jpg

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

I'm looking to add a powder blue, I'm aware they can be tricky but would like to try.

My main question is I have a purple tang and a Scopas tang already, will it be ok to add one now ? If so what would be the best size to go for?

Tank is around 200 gallon
nobody knows, all fish are different. kill the lights, move the rocks, tape the mirrors and add the fish

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say. Every fish is different

But as a general rule with tangs its same body shape that determines incompatibility

20210410_132051.jpg
So by the. Looks of that I'd be about the same shape?

My other option is a vampire tang
The bottom shapes ?

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tangs hated the butterfly and angelfish I recently added...I had to move the butterfly to the sump temporarily, the angel is holding it's own and now just part of the group...I'd get an acclimation box, reduced light and feed heavy...I'm fairly new to all this, so just my limited experience and research.

I also want a PBT but have heard they are prone to ich. I'd make sure you have a QT, or buy from a retailer that sells treated fish.

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tangs hated the butterfly and angelfish I recently added...I had to move the butterfly to the sump temporarily, the angel is holding it's own and now just part of the group...I'd get an acclimation box, reduced light and feed heavy...I'm fairly new to all this, so just my limited experience and research.

I also want a PBT but have heard they are prone to ich. I'd make sure you have a QT, or buy from a retailer that sells treated fish.
I'm pretty new myself.
I avoid angels as I like my corals,( have tried them and failed )

I feed heavy as it is as I have a copperband, although he really isn't scared by any of the fish in my tank. it's a very inquisitive fish that's happy to go about it's business,
regardless of what's going on around it.
I also quarantine all my fish so that shouldn't be an issue.
I love the look of the powder blue, and have just found a stunning one in my LFS.

The only thing that worries me is if I add one and my other tangs take a dislike and cause issues for it

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty new myself.
I avoid angels as I like my corals,( have tried them and failed )

I feed heavy as it is as I have a copperband, although he really isn't scared by any of the fish in my tank. it's a very inquisitive fish that's happy to go about it's business,
regardless of what's going on around it.
I also quarantine all my fish so that shouldn't be an issue.
I love the look of the powder blue, and have just found a stunning one in my LFS.

The only thing that worries me is if I add one and my other tangs take a dislike and cause issues for it
My butterfly went right into the the DT and felt at home until the yellow tang tried to end it's existence. I felt so bad, such an awesome fish, even in the sump has so much personality...I tried to catch the YT but she's too fast. I would just QT and acclimate in a box. My limited experience supports what I read and was told, they usually get along after they know there will be enough food to support them all. It's just safer in a box. Waiting on mine to be delivered, as I want my butterfly out of the sump...too awesome to live there too long.

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My butterfly went right into the the DT and felt at home until the yellow tang tried to end it's existence. I felt so bad, such an awesome fish, even in the sump has so much personality...I tried to catch the YT but she's too fast. I would just QT and acclimate in a box. My limited experience supports what I read and was told, they usually get along after they know there will be enough food to support them all. It's just safer in a box. Waiting on mine to be delivered, as I want my butterfly out of the sump...too awesome to live there too long.
The CBB is also a tricky fish maybe I got lucky? But I must admit if I could only save one it would be it!

I have found once the fish realise they each have enough food to share their isn't much of a problem that's why I feed 10 cubes a day plus's pellets
keeps them all happy and less aggressive

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The CBB is also a tricky fish maybe I got lucky? But I must admit if I could only save one it would be it!

I have found once the fish realise they each have enough food to share their isn't much of a problem that's why I feed 10 cubes a day plus's pellets
keeps them all happy and less aggressive
Perhaps, I have heard horror stories of acclimating them to a home aquarium.

Had that conversation with the wife, LOL! I might need to sell one, which should go? Obviously hard to trade an old pet for a new one, so here I am...lol.

I know that feeling! I feed LRS Reef Frenzy and enhanced Brine cubes (both in Selcon) in the morning...LRS Seaweed at lunch and frozen clams and mysis in Sera vitamins for dinner. They eat better than I do!

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I catch all my fish in a trap.
If you put the trap in and only feed inside the trap for a few days they will all go in
I thought about a trap, but I have a diverse stocking and wasn't sure what I'd catch:

8" YB Hippo Tang
5" Picasso Trigger
4" Yellow Tang
3" Cinnamon Clown
3" J Emperor Angel

Since the butterfly was easy to catch I put it in the sump and figured the acclimation box would result in the least overall amount of stress.

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about a trap, but I have a diverse stocking and wasn't sure what I'd catch:

8" YB Hippo Tang
5" Picasso Trigger
4" Yellow Tang
3" Cinnamon Clown
3" J Emperor Angel

Since the butterfly was easy to catch I put it in the sump and figured the acclimation box would result in the least overall amount of stress.
You'll get all fish swim into the box, of you wait until the one you want is in and close the lid it's job done.
I normally catch the one I want and another one or two I don't I just release the ones I don't once the box is out of the water.
Ive never had an issue catching fish in a box my tank is large and full of rock and always catch them

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had issues when I added the scopas the purple wasn't happy with it the mirror trick worked with them
i have in my tank, powder blue, yellow, tomini, 2 hippo, 2 purple, sailfin, clown, freckled face. thats 10 tangs if i am not missing one. probably lol

they are all buddies for the most part, bit of competition between the powder blue and clown

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll get all fish swim into the box, of you wait until the one you want is in and close the lid it's job done.
I normally catch the one I want and another one or two I don't I just release the ones I don't once the box is out of the water.
Ive never had an issue catching fish in a box my tank is large and full of rock and always catch them
Awesome, thanks!

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have in my tank, powder blue, yellow, tomini, 2 hippo, 2 purple, sailfin, clown, freckled face. thats 10 tangs if i am not missing one. probably lol

they are all buddies for the most part, bit of competition between the powder blue and clown
I'm guessing you've got a big tank?
I think I'd be happy with 3 tangs no more, I have a fair bit of rock work so limits space for them to dart on when threatened

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think going to take a chance, I'm off to store today and will be returning with a PB and maybe a couple of frags for good measure

Let's hope all goes well

Back