Powder Brown Tang Will Not Eat - Need Suggestions

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a 4-5 inch Powder Brown Tang in my 125 for almost a week now, it's the only tang, and largest fish in the tank. It appears happy and healthy, but it literally will not eat. I've tried frozen LRS Fish Frenzy, three different freeze dried foods, two different pellet foods, and nori sheets. All the other fish are eating everything, but this PBT just completely ignores all food every time I feed the tank. He swims all over, doesn't bother any other fish, goes in and out of rocks, but just refuses to eat. What can I do to get this guy to eat?! It has to be starving at this point.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did come from Diver's Den, so I guess you could say it was partially in QT. They say they run a two week QT there. Not sure how effective that really is though.

Im wondering because its easier to get a fish to eat if its by itself.

This link shows what DD feeds their fish. Besides that I would just wait, if hes acting normal I would think he is just acclimating yet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Try spirulina brine shrimp as well as LRS herbivore diet
Seachem Entice is a good additive as is garlic to its' food.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did come from Diver's Den, so I guess you could say it was partially in QT. They say they run a two week QT there. Not sure how effective that really is though.

DD quarantine is completely worthless, to be honest. I agree trying live foods, live brine or black worms.

OP
OP
BeaverLakeAndy

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DD quarantine is completely worthless, to be honest. I agree trying live foods, live brine or black worms.
I'm going to the LFS tomorrow to see what they have for live foods. I imagine Diver's Den QT is likely not up to standard. So far so good as far as health goes though. I'll be setting up my own QT soon hopefully. Either that or purchasing from a reputable seller who only does fully quarantined fish.

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wondering because its easier to get a fish to eat if its by itself.

This link shows what DD feeds their fish. Besides that I would just wait, if hes acting normal I would think he is just acclimating yet.

For me its been the opposite. Had a yellow tang that just picked on rocks in qt and hid from me every time I approached the glass, so I never saw him eat while in qt for 72 days. When he went into dt, he picked up on the others in their feeding frenzy and seemed to be much more comfortable and less skittish around the other more calm fish and I finally saw him eat and he now stays out all the time.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI

QT has absolutely nothing to do with getting a fish to eat.

The feeding frenzy method is often the best way to get finicky eaters such as pbt’s eating.

However, with any powder brown or blue they are the more difficult tangs time get eating, if you don’t see it eating at the vendor, I would never buy. Almost always they perish.

good luck!

Luis1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue. What I started doing was mixing allot of different foods. Mysis, Rods, reef roids, herbivore mix and nori. Then I add garlic extreme and let it soak. I haven’t seen a fish resist it yet

Luis1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue. What I started doing was mixing allot of different foods. Mysis, Rods, reef roids, herbivore mix and nori. Then I add garlic extreme and let it soak. I haven’t seen a fish resist it yet
And I recently got a powder brown tang that I got to eat using this mix as wel!

OP
OP
BeaverLakeAndy

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
BeaverLakeAndy

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another update on the PBT eating. He most definitely ate the LRS Herbivore Frenzy this evening. So in addition to the nori on a rock with a rubber band he'd ate twice today. Baby steps, but I'll take it!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back