Powdery Filter Socks

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad
Help! I messed up !! I washed my filter socks in the dishwasher and when I took them out they were powdery - so I beat the dust off as much as I could and rinsed the socks. Then put them in my filtration. Now the whole tank is cloudy. I did a 50% water change and still cloudy. Parameters are all great. 20 gallon Nuvo Panorama
Dkh: 12.9
Ca: 465
Mg: 1350
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 20ppm
Ph: 8.3
Salinity: 1.026

What should Should I do? Leave it or more water changes and if so at what percentage should I change out?
Also That bta is 3 weeks new.

Attachments

• IMG_3002.MOV
    23.7 MB

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad
Help! I messed up !! I washed my filter socks in the dishwasher and when I took them out they were powdery - so I beat the dust off as much as I could and rinsed the socks. Then put them in my filtration. Now the whole tank is cloudy. I did a 50% water change and still cloudy. Parameters are all great. 20 gallon Nuvo Panorama
Dkh: 12.9
Ca: 465
Mg: 1350
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 20ppm
Ph: 8.3
Salinity: 1.026

When you ran them in the dishwasher, did you add dishwashing detergent?

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My father in law finally texted back- he said to put the dusty socks in the sanitary cycle in the washing machine with nothing in there. Just water.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My father in law finally texted back- he said to put the dusty socks in the sanitary cycle in the washing machine with nothing in there. Just water.

I would add some bleach to them as well. Rinse them and let dry before use.

Run some GAC on the tank and do a water change when you can.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi just to add ,washing machine w bleach..2x rinse cycle ::: let completely air dry before using.best wishes,happy reefing

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates are .25 ppm.

omg bleach!?! Even with a rinse twice and air dry for two days wouldnt that still risk my tank? I did just throw them in the rinse cycle though.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
granulated activated carbon,..how are your fish and crrals rt now?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates are .25 ppm.

omg bleach!?! Even with a rinse twice and air dry for two days wouldnt that still risk my tank? I did just throw them in the rinse cycle though.

bleach is perfectly safe to clean your filter socks with, good rinse and air dry for a few days. If your really concerned soak them in a bucket of water with dechlorinator as a final step.

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
granulated activated carbon,..how are your fish and crrals rt now?
Got it- yes I researched that acronym. I have chemi pure Blue in the sump right now. I added a small extra chemipure blue bag for now. Everything is fine. They were all super open and hungry. So I fed everyone. The only ones not happy for the past few weeks are the zoas except literally 5 zoa frag polyps. I’ve been battling with hair algae- brushing it off in a separate bowl and then dipping it in clean tank water then putting it back. I even scraped off the algae from its rock and another time just decided to finally take it off that rock and glued the frags to my big rocks. Looks like they want to open but the edges are wrinkly and dark colored and never open completely. I’ve been using lower lighting, blues and purples (no whites). Had brown algae and finally got rid of that. I suspect I’ve been giving my tank too much Dr Tims bacteria when there’s already a lot of good bacteria in the tank and probably because of the larger than 10% water changes to get rid of the brown algae did it. Also over feeding from
Before. No clue exactly. But besides all of that, all of my mini maxis look fantastic, the bta looks great. My Picasso clown fish are 3 weeks old to this tank and they’re acting normal. Very friendly fish. My hammers are fully open and extended. The sand is staying white. My loony tunes is growing really fast. Sri Lankan star Fish is always on the move. My Duncan is fully open with new babies coming out it’s stem. My wrass is healthy.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
that good to hear,close one,how about a tank shot ,would love to see :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back