Power bar busted for good?

Mr. Wiggles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

so I had I leak and some water got into my Apex power bar. It’s sizzled a bit before I could get it unplugged. When I plug it back in it still sizzles, but still turns on, evidently. Is this thing pretty much a goner? I’m also gonna contact Neptune directly to see what they say. Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
Mr. Wiggles

Mr. Wiggles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, don't use power bars that sizzle.
Haha I concur. I guess my question is, supposing it dries out, no longer sizzles as a result, and seems to work, is there still a disaster waiting to happen somewhere down the line?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I concur. I guess my question is, supposing it dries out, no longer sizzles as a result, and seems to work, is there still a disaster waiting to happen somewhere down the line?

Absolutely! It is now a fire hazard.

I know, throwing out a $250 power bar is a tough pill to swallow; but the safety of our family, pets and personal belongings is worth just buying another...

OP
OP
Mr. Wiggles

Mr. Wiggles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! It is now a fire hazard.

I know, throwing out a $250 power bar is a tough pill to swallow; but the safety of our family, pets and personal belongings is worth just buying another...
Ok, thanks! Honestly, at this point the simplicity of just needing to buy a new one rather than try to fix it is kind of a relief haha

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean think about it logically.... disassemble and inspect the components. If you find arcmarks and damaged components see if you can replace them. Clean it with 90% isopropyl alcohol, I use this method to clean and fix electrical components on aircraft. If you use the power bar and it generates alot of heat you have a problem. If it were mine I would try to repair and clean it before I dumped it

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id unscrew it and rinse it with rodi water. Let it air dry for a week and plug it in again.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id unscrew it and rinse it with rodi water. Let it air dry for a week and plug it in again.
Nooooo do not use water!!! Isopropyl is a polar molecule and water dissolves into it. It cleans contacts and helps pull water out of equipment. Not only that but it is volatile and evaporates. If there is anly salt left the water will then create corrosion and further damage your equipment

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nooooo do not use water!!! Isopropyl is a polar molecule and water dissolves into it. It cleans contacts and helps pull water out of equipment. Not only that but it is volatile and evaporates. If there is anly salt left the water will then create corrosion and further damage your equipment
+1!

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a kessil 160 led that fell in the salt water. I rinsed it in tap. Then dunked in a bucket of rodi. Let it dry a week. Put it in a bag with rice and let it dry another week. A year later it still works.

Or you can try isopropyl alcohol i guess :)

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does isopropyl remove salt? Thats why id use rodi water.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ISO will clean salt from circuits, it does not dissolve salt as easy as water does because water is more polar. BUT it will not cause corrosion like water sand salt would.
Okay in this case id use iso alcohol. That stuff is awesome even when the kids draw all over the walls lol

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll buy the damaged one o_O. Kind of want to take a look at the internals, maybe I can replace the outlets

OP
OP
Mr. Wiggles

Mr. Wiggles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ll see how realistic taking it apart is for me when I get home - I’m definitely out of my element here so hopefully it’s nothing too complex.

I’ll buy the damaged one o_O. Kind of want to take a look at the internals, maybe I can replace the outlets

I’ll keep you in mind as I try my hand at this! Just gonna try not to make it worse than it already is haha
Thanks for the help everyone!!

OP
OP
Mr. Wiggles

Mr. Wiggles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ECC8E130-81EE-47CB-B48E-22C1EF19C5DB.jpeg
9FB7C6D2-39D9-4531-98E9-C924AA96DADE.jpeg

So what should I be looking for here? Was expecting something black and charred haha

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean out all the sockets with iso, it doesn't look bad to me at all and looking at the pictures it does't seem like anything is blown out. I bet the buzzing is from the actual sockets shorting out. In my opinion, As long at the circuit board did't get damaged your should be fine. Your device is completely solid state, dosn't look like it has any relays. I would completely fill up the sockets with iso and then plug and unplug a plug Into the sockets to sorta clean them out. Maybe even try some electrical contact cleaner. I would bet that you are not going to have any problem with this unit if you clean it out properly.

OP
OP
Mr. Wiggles

Mr. Wiggles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean out all the sockets with iso, it doesn't look bad to me at all and looking at the pictures it does't seem like anything is blown out. I bet the buzzing is from the actual sockets shorting out. In my opinion, As long at the circuit board did't get damaged your should be fine. Your device is completely solid state, dosn't look like it has any relays. I would completely fill up the sockets with iso and then plug and unplug a plug Into the sockets to sorta clean them out. Maybe even try some electrical contact cleaner. I would bet that you are not going to have any problem with this unit if you clean it out properly.

Awesome, I will give that a shot! Thanks so much!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back