Power for multiple Neptune DOS... daisy chain?

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I have to use the included power adapter, or can I connect them directly to the EB832 with the 4 or 6 pin connector?

Seems strange the DOS has 4pin connection (as does the EB832) but a cord isn't included.

Anyway, I'm just looking to save space and free up as many outlets as I can. What are my options for 2 DOS modules?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my understanding that the onelink can supply power to them, but each one has to be plugged into another onelink outlet(each EB832 has 2 onelink outlets). They cannot be daisy chained to my knowledge. perhaps you can use a wall outlet on one, then a onelink on another? Not sure on this one as I have the older apex.

OP
OP
smartwater101

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what you mentioned, and I've read, it seems the only way to save an outlet is to spend 150$ on a 1link... for each DOS!

Not sure why the EB832 (or the DOS) has 4pin outlets when you have to buy another module to actually use it. I hope I'm wrong about this...

OP
OP
smartwater101

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no no

The EB832 has 2 powered onelink ports on it. The module is for those of us that do not have the EB832, and just the regular old EB32.

Ohhhhhhh so I just need to buy 2 of the 4pin cords? (One for each DOS?)

20/cord (40$) is better than 150$/link-module lol

I'm still annoyed the DOS doesn't included these cords but I guess can live with that

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they are included because the DOS came out before the 1link and new apex, but the 1link plug was included for future updates.

This, exactly. When the DOS first came out, including the aquabus cable and power brick in the box made sense for the most people, because many didn't have the EB832 and its three 1Link ports.
Incidentally, this may be different for an upcoming device, now that most users have 1Link built-in to their systems. :)

You can't physically daisy chain two or more DOS because each powered device has only 1 1Link port, so it's not actually possible to connect two or more this way.
Each device is connected separately, because the 1Link is providing both power and communication.
If you use power bricks and aquabus cables, you can plug each brick into a power strip (need not be a valuable EB outlet),
and then you can daisy chain the devices with aquabus cables if you want.

Back