Power Head opinions

dudeabides

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 30, 2015
Messages
7
Reaction score
1
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the general consensus on which power heads are the best? I.E. longevity, reliability, best flow, Price. I have 55 gallon reef ready tank? I am new to all this and my knowledge is quite limited?
 
I have always had good luck with Hydor. Low priced and never lost one. I recently got a Jebao wavemaker (WP40) pump and so far am very happy with it (8 months). I haven't had it long enough to speak to longevity. Tunze and Vortech are extremely overpriced.
 
Well in the past 30 years I have used everything. As I am in the hobby for good I generally like to buy equipment that last's I don't want to waste the money on equipment that doesn't hold up. I have Tunze skimmers and powerheads that are 25 years old and are still in use. I also use Ecotech products because they stand behind them and you can up grade their products if the bring out something new witness the up grades from Mp power heads to the new Q series.
http://store.ecotechmarine.com/store/vortech/pump-upgrades

Like the saying goes you can pay me now or pay me later.
 
I've found Hydor Koralias to be essentially bullet-proof.
 
price is a very subjective criteria, having said that I personally only use vortechs for my powerheads. I put mine on the back wall no cords in the tank and you can barely see the prop unit. worth every penny to me.
 
If it's in your budget start yourself off right with either Tunze or Vortec.

With practically everything in this hobby it may be more at the beginning to go with the best but in the long run you'll save a lot of money.
 
I have used Tunze and the hydor koralia. Tunze all the way. Been running over 6 years with only cleaning stopping them. Koralia I have had many break or begin to go backwards or stop working. I also have the gyre Maxspect, but for a 55g that is too much. I also have a jaebo 10 maybe (I can never remember all these letters and numbers) and it is holding up so far after 1 year and 3 months.

If you can budget it, I would go with Tunze, but know that Sicce is coming out with some nice competition. Anyone on those guys?
 
I would go with Tunze also. The customer service is excellent should you ever need it. These pumps last a long time and are well built.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new