Power just went out....HELP!

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please share where you purchased that from?

I got it from a small LFS in the Orlando area. They had 4 battery air pumps left in stock before a hurricane. I got that one but I can't find them anywhere online. At the least you can go to any LFS and get a couple of the kind that use D batteries, but plug into the wall and only turn on when the power cuts out. They're a pretty cheap safety product.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please share where you purchased that from?
If there is a 24 hour Walmart in your area (or something similar) they will likely have battery powered air pumps in their fishing/sporting goods section. Anglers use them to keep live bait alive in buckets. Won't be the fancy one, but even if it's the old kind that runs off of d batteries, it will do.

OP
OP
Picassoclown

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your feedback everyone. I really do appreciate it! I will wake up in 4 hour intervals and use a long plastic tube that I have for water changes and stir the water around for 5 minutes.

OP
OP
Picassoclown

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a 24 hour Walmart in your area (or something similar) they will likely have battery powered air pumps in their fishing/sporting goods section. Anglers use them to keep live bait alive in buckets. Won't be the fancy one, but even if it's the old kind that runs off of d batteries, it will do.
They all close at 11 lol. That's my luck

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. The power just went out on my system that's 6 weeks old. It is 215 gallons. I only have 2 clownfish and 2 hermit crabs (luckily!) with no corals. Will my tank be okay until morning when power comes on? My thoughts are that the system is so big, it would need a solid 10-12 hours to heat up significantly. Right now, the house is around 72-74 degrees and outside is 85. Will everything be okay? Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Get a power inverter and run it off your car battery to get 2 power heads to run. That would get you through the night. For the future though you should plan for this to happen because in the future this is far too great an investment to let go when bad things happen.

What I do, I have a 200 AMP alternator on my truck and I run a 3,000 watt inverter to run the tank if power goes out. So the truck just idles and gives me all the power I need to run the tank even with everything going. I also have everything set up where I can quickly and easily unplug and run on inverter power. One note, if you go down this road you need to get a true sine wave inverter.

OP
OP
Picassoclown

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you anticipate that power will be restored in the morning?
I do yes. I'm hoping that a 215 gallon tank will take a while to heat/cool. It's just the water movement I am concerned about. I'm setting an alarm clock every 4 hours to aerate the water. Manually do it for 5 minutes. I will head to Walmart in the morning and grab a rechargeable air stone if it's not restored.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used a car battery, inverter and a regular ac air pump before.
Anything to keep water moving

if you have any legos and electric technic motors you can build a paddle wheel or something to mount on the rim or near the tank to keep the water moving

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly 2 small clowns in 200+ gallons should be fine over night. Ideally you always want to have a power back up, but in an emergency i would grab a bucket and fill it up in the tank and pour it back in a few times every couple hours. I highly doubt theyll run out of oxygen though. A tank full of large tangs is another story.

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your feedback everyone. I really do appreciate it! I will wake up in 4 hour intervals and use a long plastic tube that I have for water changes and stir the water around for 5 minutes.
Do not stir. Take a pitcher and fill. Pour from up high, that aerates the water. Stirring doesn't do much.

Champagnebrian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a big tank for small live stock so youre going to be okay. Get a 5 gallon bucket of tank water and fill it, pour it into another back and forth... Id do it like 5-10 times every hour and youll be okay. Tomorrow go get a battery back up incase it happens again.

OP
OP
Picassoclown

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I posted at midnight. I got power back, but it never posted?? Anyway, power came back after 4.5 hours. So I got pretty lucky, but I ordered all the backups and a huge battery operated generator. Thanks for helping me out everyone!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back