Power out

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad to hear you were prepared!

We just got over a 2 day outage yesterday. We live on an island so when the power goes we are the last to get it back. Our generator has been a life saver.

For the first few years we ran cords. When we got the tanks we added the plug for our house. It is a chunk of change at first but oh so worth every penny!

OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay. Power is back. Although it looks like my Endress and Hauser controller, that I used to run my RO system, got fried. Perhaps too much of a voltage spike? All I know is that the all of the relays on the controller stay energized, which means my RO won’t shut off and the piezo buzzer won’t shut up. The screen is completely dark now. Oh well. It had a good 20+ year run. Now I’ll have to find a new 4-20ma controller. At least I’m hoping the hydrostatic level sensor didn’t get fried too...
7EB40387-6E52-419B-9EF5-5CAAEA069D2E.jpeg

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay. Power is back. Although it looks like my Endress and Hauser controller, that I used to run my RO system, got fried. Perhaps too much of a voltage spike? All I know is that the all of the relays on the controller stay energized, which means my RO won’t shut off and the piezo buzzer won’t shut up. The screen is completely dark now. Oh well. It had a good 20+ year run. Now I’ll have to find a new 4-20ma controller. At least I’m hoping the hydrostatic level sensor didn’t get fried too...
Is there a fuse in that bad boy?

Davem24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jealous. Still with out power over here. And I'm sure my neighbors enjoy the sound of my generator lol

OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a fuse in that bad boy?
I’m not sure. I’ll pull it apart tomorrow and see. It’s beer:30 now! I already found a used identical replacement on eBay for $55 (Endress & Hauser RIA 450). So even if I get it working, I’ll have spare parts. I know relay 3 on mine is fried, but I’m only using 3 out of the 4 anyway. One for hysteresis control, one for low level alarm and one for high level alarm. That’s why I started using the ice cube relay. It seems the on board relays in the controller couldn’t sustainably energize my solenoid valve. I’m guessing the continuous use fried relay 3. So now the on board relay only energizes the coil on the ice cube relay, which is something like 250ma.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure. I’ll pull it apart tomorrow and see. It’s beer:30 now! I already found a used identical replacement on eBay for $55 (Endress & Hauser RIA 450). So even if I get it working, I’ll have spare parts. I know relay 3 on mine is fried, but I’m only using 3 out of the 4 anyway. One for hysteresis control, one for low level alarm and one for high level alarm. That’s why I started using the ice cube relay. It seems the on board relays in the controller couldn’t sustainably energize my solenoid valve. I’m guessing the continuous use fried relay 3. So now the on board relay only energizes the coil on the ice cube relay, which is something like 250ma.
Our last power outage was preceeded by a minute long brown out. I ran to shut the mains off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, for whatever reason, my controller seems to have fixed itself. I hate it when electronics do that. I understand the concept of thermal fuses, but this is about 2 weeks later. So I have been plugging in the controller occasionally, because even though the screen was blank, the relay sill energized and I could turn on my RO system to refill my water container and dump evaporated makeup water in manually each day. I have plugged the controller in several times over the past couple weeks and it was always blank. But yesterday, when I plugged it back in, it lit up, and even had all my relay settings still stored. I don’t understand....

When this storm blew through, power was flickering on and off before it finally went out completely, so I figured the flickering might have fried something. I did order an exact replacement on EBay, that still hasn’t arrived yet, so I will at least have a spare in case it breaks again (whenever that actually arrives).

Anyhow, I don’t understand how electronics can fix themselves. Doesn’t seem possible, but that appears to be what happened. My smart controller is smarter than I thought!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back