OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ice and snow not a problem here, but hurricane season is. Did not have a salt water tank set up last time power went out for any major length of time. but I used the air stones from Walmart for minnow buckets. The small ones can run 12 hours on 2 AA batteries. larger ones take C batteries I think.
I bought two of these kedsom ones for each tank. Has 2 lines and says runs for 24 hours. Plugs into an outlet and comes in when power is lost. I’ve unplugged it and it comes on a couple seconds later. Don’t know about duration yet. But should help if I’m not around.

Attachments

• IMG_1693.jpeg
    IMG_1693.jpeg
    248.7 KB · Views: 14

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
were you there for Gloria? that was a week in CT.
Yup! Been in my house since 1997 and we have had 4 outages of more than 3 days. Without some way to get power to the tank, it will not survive that long. Until 2018, I had a gas-powered portable, but got tired of having to scrounge for gas (fortunately most of the gas stations have generators to power the pumps) because even with advanced planning it is hard to keep enough gas on hand for more than 3 days. Now I have a whole house standby unit and the portable functions as a backup for the backup.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped at Petco for cat food this morning and noticed signs all over the fish Dept that said "No Corals, Fish or Plants for sale till Apr 7th. Under observation due to the power outage". Bunch of tanks were just empty with rock too. guess they suffered losses

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it goes out again. 70 minutes this morning. Everything turned on line it’s supposed to but I think I need to do the standby generator this summer and not next. Getting tiring setting the portable up all the time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back