Powers out

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been out for 16 hours now. Going to be a long one. More than 50% of the county is out. Generator running. Was keeping lights off to conserve some energy. Just like having a cloudy day right? Have water mixed in case I need it. Hoping no losses

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it lasts and comes to it, as said, circulation is the most important thing. More than heat, though it can become an issue if it drops enough (the thermal mass of the tank means this will be slow.)

Probably the simplest and most power efficient way to get circulation is dropping an airstone in run by a battery powered pump, and ideally you run it all the way to the bottom. Provides some oxygen, but the lift of the bubbles will get a surprising amount of current going to keep gas exchange happening at the surface.

Hope your power comes back soon.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id be worried about the heater.

I was always wondering in theory if you were to heat up a plastic drinking bottle and then put them in the sump, could they work as temp heaters, to keep water warm, since its rare to have both gas and electricty out at the same time, and if they both do go out, id think you have bigger worries then keeping your fish tank alive.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was always wondering in theory if you were to heat up a plastic drinking bottle and then put them in the sump, could they work as temp heaters, to keep water warm, since its rare to have both gas and electricty out at the same time, and if they both do go out, id think you have bigger worries then keeping your fish tank alive.
My water got down to 67 when power was out with no affect on coral or fish.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It certainly works, but the math gets tough in a large tank. Let's say you get a gallon jug of water to near boiling (but importantly, not boiling) and toss it in somewhere that won't burn anything in the tank. The temperatures will equalize, but in a 100+ gallon tank, it's going to be something like a single degree increase, so you're going to need to be doing one every hour or something to fully compensate for the losses, which is a lot of nursing a near boiling pot.

It's not that it doesn't help, it's that it's very labor intensive in the long term, making it a less than ideal option. If your room temperature is at least in the 60s (Fahrenheit), the tank probably won't get cold enough to be a problem (temperature change slows the more similar the two things are in temperature.)

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the octo tank I have the slimmer, wave, heater, return pump, ATO etc…everything but the light. The biocube I only have the return pump and heater runnjng but it’s rippling the surface. Running off a 7500w generator but trying to conserve gas. Closest working gas station is a 30 minute drive. The APC UPS systems worked for a couple hours but the generator won’t re-charge them since they’re sensitive. Glad I made RODi a few days ago. Have 20 gallons on hand.

No one looks like they’re gasping for air so just going to limp along this way. Won’t feed much to not pollute the water.

Even internet is down so the cellular service is clogged with everyone using it.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
House heat is not a problem. And I’m maintaining the tank heaters. Just the lights are not running and the Hygger wave on the biocube which I believe should be. But the return is running pointed at the surface. Just wondering though if only the surface is getting oxygen with it off?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sounds like you are doing ok, go get that gas now, better to have it and not need it.
then the power comes back on... :rolleyes: ;)

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry the big giant fans in the ocean will fix all of this very soon and none of us will ever experience a loss of power again and don't worry even if the power goes out and you can't charge your EV anywhere and there is no gas for your generator you will be just fine. I'm from the government and I'm here to help. God bless Ronald Reagan.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been out for 16 hours now. Going to be a long one. More than 50% of the county is out. Generator running. Was keeping lights off to conserve some energy. Just like having a cloudy day right? Have water mixed in case I need it. Hoping no losses
My main concerns for power out have always been circulation and temp.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the apocalypse at the gas station. Long lines, all cans and pumps running out. Had to head down south for Internet. Guessing out till Tuesday
Get a battery powered airstone from anyplace that might have it and be open. This can hold you over if generator runs dry.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well o caught a break. Powers back. For me. One of the lucky ones. Glad I’m on the school power grid. Unfortunate for the other 80% of town. Next years bonus goes to the whole house back up. No casualties in the tanks. Yay!

Tomorrow’s shopping list will be a battery air stone as a back up.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so what battery air stone do people have good success with? I See Cobalt recommended but don't find reviews, and Kedsom seems to have a lot of reviews. Want the one that auto turns on when power goes out. Just don't see anything longer than 24 hours unless you do a sporadic mode to 30 hours. looking for when I'm "not" here more. (until I do whole house standby BU)

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Power Bubbles 12V air pump that I use for emergencies. No built in battery, but battery clips, meaning you can connect it up to virtually any 12V battery that's available (including your car battery.)

If you're looking for something with a battery built in, something like the Aquarium Coop pump is a reasonable choice, especially given that for a USB powered pump, you can also just plug it into a USB battery pack for extra lifetime.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a basic AA battery petco purchase. It's manual not auto. In my fish closet if needed.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I think that Kedsom one might be best. Plug it in and leave it. (3000 positive reviews on Amazon). When power goes out it comes on for ~24hours. Want something for when I'm not here rather than manual. manual is easy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back