Power outage Wi-Fi notification?

Docdiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does a device exist that will alert your phone that power went out at your house? I typically run inverters off a battery and only plug in the absolute necessary pieces until power is back. I live close to work so it would be easy to come home quick and get things going. I looked at a few sites, but I'd like to know what people here use.

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know ADP or Comcast Home Protection has something with notifications regarding power. However, I am not aware of an APP, but I would think there is something out there. You may check with others.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does a device exist that will alert your phone that power went out at your house? I typically run inverters off a battery and only plug in the absolute necessary pieces until power is back. I live close to work so it would be easy to come home quick and get things going. I looked at a few sites, but I'd like to know what people here use.

I have have the Neptune Apex . One of the many many features it has is called "heart beat" . If you loose signal via internet or power outage then it will send you an email and text message. Here is a video on it.

oscargrumete61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not worry about power outage because i cannot do nothing so i bought i battery back up and now i am more confident nothing is gonna happens

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a GSM modem and a data only plan.

A UPS hooked up to a PC can be setup to run any program or take any action when the power goes out.

Have a cheap PC (like a raspberry pi) hooked up to the USB port on your UPS.

Buy one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Oley-Adapter...qid=1509374882&sr=8-3&keywords=sim+card+modem

Get a data only plan from a GSM provider like T-Mobile.

Now you can set it up to email you when the UPS goes on battery power. That'll let you know your power is out; plus you could hook your apex up to the same GSM modem to still communicate to the cloud.

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had the same question. Only suggestions I found on the forums cost quite a bit of money (controller, nest camera, GSM device, ups). As it turns out there is a quick and dirty way to accomplish this for free using a free app/website called Pingdom. Basically you configure Pingdom to send a ping to your home internet modem at regular time intervals, say every minute. In the event your modem/internet goes down (like from a power outage) the app will give you an instant push notification to your phone and send you an email. Also the app will send you a notification when the internet comes back. This should cover you for any and all power outages but you may get a few false notifications since monitoring your internet modem isn't a 100% indication that the power is also out. For example if you a have unreliable internet service at home this may not work for you. Also if your modem and tank are on separate circuit breaker switches you need to be careful in case the breaker for your tank trips but modem is still powered on. Hope this is helpful. Would like to start a thread on the topic to share, but I am too new to the forums.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back