Power outage

mikesilverado8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What to do if you have a power outage. Any suggestions I'm going to get one of those battery back up bubble things and stir the water with a spoon any other ideas???

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I back up my Toyota Tacoma and plugged in the tank from the bedliner outlet. I had to do it once for 3 hours. Fish were happy while we all sat in the dark.

Of course, the fish come first. :p People must think we're loony when they read/hear about things like this.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran across this yesterday, and I found it very intriguing.

http://ecotechmarine.com/products/battery-backup

Bulk Reef Supply has it listed for $165, which I found to be very reasonable. It states that it's made for VorTech pumps, but I would bet any pump with the right characteristics could be run off it, if you do a little engineering first. Wonder if anyone has any experience with it? I also wonder how one manages an outage with a sump since, as far as I can tell, this device would not run the return pump (at least by itself for very long).

What is the duration of power outage you are wanting to prepare for? The amount of effort and expense required will vary proportionally with the duration of the outage you want to be prepared for.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with ReefMadScientist above, the easiest method is a power inverter plugged in to your vehicle of choice if short term. Next step is a generator – get one large enough to plug a refrigerator in as well…keep the fish happy, and keep the spouse happy too!

There are plenty of threads discussing various methods for backup power, ranging from air stones to full house gen sets. Pick your budget, pick your method, but at least have a plan!

tswanso3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generac whole house generator! But before I had that, I had a gasoline generator I could plug the tank in to. Gotta protect that investment!

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic 1: Ecotech Marine back up battery and the top of a 1000v/600w UPS that will run the apex and network adapter.
Pic 2: Ice cap for a gyre.
Pic 3: 2 x automatic bubbles and a pack of D batteries.

This all my wife can handle till I can get home to a generator.

20151023_173559.jpg

20151023_173616.jpg

20151023_173936.jpg

den75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generac whole house generator! But before I had that, I had a gasoline generator I could plug the tank in to. Gotta protect that investment!
Yup, automatic stand by pops on 20 seconds after the power goes out. Love mine.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back