Power outage

Agiron86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a power outage and do not have a battery powered air pump or backup, what should I do?

Jeff Hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pray that your power comes back on or try to get to the store to get an air pump. I don't know if I would stir the water as this may stress your fish and make them use more oxygen. I would keep the tank covered so hopefully the fish think that it is dark out and go to sleep thus requiring less oxygen.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a gallon pitcher and scoop and pour. This will aerate the water and give you some water flow.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pray that your power comes back on or try to get to the store to get an air pump. I don't know if I would stir the water as this may stress your fish and make them use more oxygen. I would keep the tank covered so hopefully the fish think that it is dark out and go to sleep thus requiring less oxygen.

The fish require the same amount of oxygen awake or asleep. :)

Also if the tank is covered the CO2 will be trapped and will not dissipate as normal. This will also deplete the oxygen faster:)

OP
OP
A

Agiron86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of people stirring and also using a pitcher to get water from the tank then waterfall it back in. Flow and aeration are your biggest concerns. How long is the outage?

I just got home, I talked to my neighbor and they said the power has been out for about3 hours

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the power is going to be out for a long time, you might want to insulate the reef glass with blankets, to hold the temp.

Good Point!! Freddie

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got home, I talked to my neighbor and they said the power has been out for about3 hours

O my, not good. Get some flow going. The corals can stand 24 hrs or more, but fish not to long.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Intermittently. scoop and pour for 5 minuters and the wait 30 minutes.

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through two power outages. Luckily they wernt too long. My biggest concern was temperature drop, as i live in mass. I wrapped my tank in blankets. I wasnt too worried about the fish or corals and oxygen. My logic is that fish and coral get sealed in bags, and shipped overnight etc. So i would insulate the tank the best you can, and if the tank has been off for more than 2 or 3 hours, then i would bail and pour water for a few mins, and cover it back up. Good luck.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through two power outages. Luckily they wernt too long. My biggest concern was temperature drop, as i live in mass. I wrapped my tank in blankets. I wasnt too worried about the fish or corals and oxygen. My logic is that fish and coral get sealed in bags, and shipped overnight etc. So i would insulate the tank the best you can, and if the tank has been off for more than 2 or 3 hours, then i would bail and pour water for a few mins, and cover it back up. Good luck.

The thing is that the use pure oxygen when shipping.

S.O.MLemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pacific powers website(as well as other utility companies)will tell you approximately how long the outage will take to be repaired and it’s current status just a little extra info. If it’s a long time you will know to act fast(battery or generator power)most rental yards will rent small generators pretty cheap

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back