Power outage

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh good I’m not a weirdo after all since others do the same thing lol

no, your still a weirdo.... we just like you because we are weirdo's too...

as for the OP...

i went thru many outages in florida with the hurricanes... before my generator, i had power out for 3 days...

pitcher of water over and over for 5 minutes, then a break for 30 minutes just like was stated earlier got me through it fine....

if you can get to a wall mart, get a power inverter and you can plug it into your cars cigarette lighter and run an extension cord to the main pump... that will get you through.... i kept my car running for a day to circulate the tank.... i also got an inverter big enough to run my fridge too... but i had to switch between the 2. it couldn't run them at the same time

Jeff Hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish require the same amount of oxygen awake or asleep. :)

Also if the tank is covered the CO2 will be trapped and will not dissipate as normal. This will also deplete the oxygen faster:)
I did not know that. I just figured that a sleeping fish would require less oxygen then one that was being stressed out by someone stirring the tank.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your fish seem to be gasping at the surface for air adding hydrogen peroxide will help. Also if you have a flashlight or even a candle put it near the tank. The light will promote photosnthsis and thus raise oxygen.

OP
OP
A

Agiron86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a huge power outage, there are multiple counties affected. There are very few stores open, the only ones that have power also have back up generators

S.O.MLemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like someone stated earlier Walmart(or Lowe’s, Home Depot or any hardware store that’s open in your area and probably even truck stops)sells power converters that are simple to use with your vehicle that’s probably what I would do at this point

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a cordless drill, you could put a suitable mixer on it and use that to mix water. Just watch the fish dont come near. And ve careful with splashing water.

Last edited:

Jeff Hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you make out? Any losses? I bet I know what your next aquarium purchase will be;)

OP
OP
A

Agiron86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze nanostream pump with the battery adaptor. Automatically detects power loss and switches to battery

With the right battery it can run 30-40 hours

That sounds expensive...

Do you mind sharing the link for the one you would suggest for a 25 gallon innovative marine.

Last edited:

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Garbonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hydrogen peroxide burns down to O2 and H2O when introduced so that will help in a pinch.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not sure if you could do this the last time my power went out I ran my tank off my truck. I hope to install a generator this year that will run off natural gas

Back