Power outage

Gregpaz84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a power outage and do not have a battery powered air pump or backup, what should I do?[/QUOTE
You can pick up an inverter from Harbor Freight. With the use of a regular car battery, it will produce a/c volts to handle power outages. I bought one for about $90 and it will handle 1500 watts continuous power output, which is more than enough to cover your whole tank. We get hit with hurricanes here in Florida and the power could sometimes be out for weeks. This has saved me many times and is well worth the price.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, your still a weirdo.... we just like you because we are weirdo's too...

as for the OP...

i went thru many outages in florida with the hurricanes... before my generator, i had power out for 3 days...

pitcher of water over and over for 5 minutes, then a break for 30 minutes just like was stated earlier got me through it fine....

if you can get to a wall mart, get a power inverter and you can plug it into your cars cigarette lighter and run an extension cord to the main pump... that will get you through.... i kept my car running for a day to circulate the tank.... i also got an inverter big enough to run my fridge too... but i had to switch between the 2. it couldn't run them at the same time
Jeep,
Could that Walmart cigarette lighter / power invert-er push a heater too or would that be too many watts?

Thanks, Freddie

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeep,
Could that Walmart cigarette lighter / power invert-er push a heater too or would that be too many watts?

Thanks, Freddie

It can if you get a big enough one

It’s like calculating the wattage for a generator.

I have one similar to this one and it ran my return pump and refrigerator and a tv / vcr dvd combo and a box fan during 2 hurricanes.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cobra-El...62590&wl11=online&wl12=44611302&wl13=&veh=sem

Since then I have purchased a 10k generator that will run everything but my air conditioner

OP
OP
A

Agiron86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, so after the outage everything looked fine. As of right now I’ve lost two emerald crabs and had a diamond goby jump yesterday. I tested the water on Friday and the nitrates were 0-5(comparative test) and again yesterday but nitrates jumped to 20ppm. I changed the water last night and retested this morning, ph is ~8, ammonia ~0, nitrite ~0, and nitrate ~40. While testing the water, I noticed I lost a clown, what the heck is going on? I just tested my ro water and it’s ~0..

Could to beneficial bacteria died during the power outage causing the nitrates to spike?

Luckily I’ve been able to get everything that died out of the tank so they don’t make the issue worse.

Last edited:

S.O.MLemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have a media reactor going and then turned it back on without changing the media? Did you smell rotten eggs at all? Although your power wasn’t off too long so what I’m thinking about is probably not the case.

srm077

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have a media reactor going and then turned it back on without changing the media? Did you smell rotten eggs at all? Although your power wasn’t off too long so what I’m thinking about is probably not the case.
Hydrogen Sulfide?

S.O.MLemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the first thing that popped in my head but doesn’t seem to be the case

O'l Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill a container up with warm water and float it in the tank. My pumps were off for 12 hrs one time with no negative effects but I have a light bioload.

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case this ever happenes to me, how long can fish survive with no form of oxygen exchange?

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish require the same amount of oxygen awake or asleep. :)

Also if the tank is covered the CO2 will be trapped and will not dissipate as normal. This will also deplete the oxygen faster:)
Really? Is this scientifically supported? Just curious! Thought they were less-active in the dark... but I am no ichthyologist!

Sparky88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small generator would probably be wise investment with what livestalk costs.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ichthyologist

Neither am I.

When replaying to the conversation, this was my answer. Doing a couple of searches this morning, there is really no evidence that I found to support either way. I did find this article link about fish sleeping. The question was about power outages and surface agitation/water movement help introduce oxygen and dissipate Co2. :)

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither am I.

When replaying to the conversation, this was my answer. Doing a couple of searches this morning, there is really no evidence that I found to support either way. I did find this article link about fish sleeping. The question was about power outages and surface agitation/water movement help introduce oxygen and dissipate Co2. :)

Just about every creature that has a circadian rhythm, Every known organism at this time except viruses(not technically an organism though), does the majority of cell repair while sleeping. So while other functions may be less; tissue repair requires a lot of cellular respiration.

As to the main point of the op, also need to check your generator, during last weeks rain storms i lost power for 3 days my solar generator failed to last the whole period of time. My battery airpump then failed to engage. In a matter of hours I lost all of my fish.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about every creature that has a circadian rhythm, Every known organism at this time except viruses(not technically an organism though), does the majority of cell repair while sleeping. So while other functions may be less; tissue repair requires a lot of cellular respiration.

As to the main point of the op, also need to check your generator, during last weeks rain storms i lost power for 3 days my solar generator failed to last the whole period of time. My battery airpump then failed to engage. In a matter of hours I lost all of my fish.

We are getting into the busy storm season down here, August & September. It is time to bring home the generator from the office.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above a portable generator or a UPS CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD Intelligent LCD UPS System, 1500VA/900W, 12 Outlets, AVR, Mini-Tower

Richard Newman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The link below describes what you can do in case of extended power outages without requiring a generator or battery backup. There are processes that will allow you to oxygenate the water without requiring a pump or air stone. I have a printed copy of this in my tank cabinet...just in case the computer doesn't work during the next Florida hurricane.

Back