Power Outage

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon display and 16 gallon sump. The power was out for about 2 hours and I was worried about the oxygen and the temp. I only have 2 clownfish in there right now. How long can they survive in there if power was out for 24 hours? Is temp a major problem when the power is out and the temp drops 10 degrees? Thank you
I have 75 gallon full reef. In the winter in the past, I've have gone 5 hours with no power. Tang, couple clowns, royal Gramma, wrasse. Temp down to lower seventies.

I once had a mishap with a blue star wrasse. I was cleaning the sand in my display and he managed to get scooped up and thrown in a 5 gallon pail. Of course it was late at night and I was tired, and I put the pail in the basement. It's only about 65° in my basement. The next day I finished my task at hand and rinsed all the sand in tap water. And then I saw the wrasse swimming in freshwater after being in 65° sand with barely any salt water. I scooped him up and threw him in my display. He lived for another year or so. I think fish are a little more resilient than what people give them credit for.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I

The temp in house was 70 degrees and temp in tank was dropping temp fast. I just don’t know what to do abou that
You’ll be a-ok

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a car and a garage? Inverter and long extension cord.

I have a car battery on a trickle charger. Figure I can always use that.

My biggest fear is this all happens while away on vacation. Don’t worry about things too much when home. Always some way to provide air and warm up the tank.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon display and 16 gallon sump. The power was out for about 2 hours and I was worried about the oxygen and the temp. I only have 2 clownfish in there right now. How long can they survive in there if power was out for 24 hours? Is temp a major problem when the power is out and the temp drops 10 degrees? Thank you
Do you have a battery backup??

If not get one...run your power heads on it mostly, and a heater.

For either Salt or Fresh, always have a battery bubbler or 2 available also....like the ones for fishing.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a battery backup??

If not get one...run your power heads on it mostly, and a heater.

For either Salt or Fresh, always have a battery bubbler or 2 available also....like the ones for fishing.
Yeah I will have to get a battery backup. What bubblers do you recommend?

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you only have 2 clowns, you'll be more than fine. Fish gets shipped all the time and stays in conditions worse than a power outage for at least 24 hours. Clowns are also one of the more hardier fish.

Recently my Apex controller crapped out and I had to borrow equipment from my QT tank that has 2 clowns. Heater was moved to the main tank, water temps dropped to 74C in the QT for a week while the Apex was in RMA process. The clowns were fine, still swimming and eating. I did apologize to them, they were happy again.

Last edited:

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years back I lost power for 2 days in close to 0 degree weather. Tank got down to 53. One clown and two Molly miller blennies survived. Lost a bunch of wrasses and a tang. I really was surprised at the survivors.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best time to worry about power failures is before they happen.

As they say:
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Right now I'd see if I can buy a battery operated pump to get some circulation, and keep it handy for future with fresh batteries in the same box.

Circulation is more important than heating in the short term.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a test with my Tunze 6095 and the safety connector and a 12 volt battery like a motorcycle type, I was able to keep the powerhead going for 5 days.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you only have 2 clowns, you'll be more than fine. Fish gets shipped all the time and stays in conditions worse than a power outage for at least 24 hours. Clowns are also one of the more hardier fish.

Recently my Apex controller crapped out and I had to borrow equipment from my QT tank that has 2 clowns. Heater was moved to the main tank, water temps dropped to 74C in the QT for a week while the Apex was in RMA process. The clowns were fine, still swimming and eating. I did apologize to them, they were happy again.
Go to known thanks for the help

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best time to worry about power failures is before they happen.

As they say:
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Right now I'd see if I can buy a battery operated pump to get some circulation, and keep it handy for future with fresh batteries in the same box.

Circulation is more important than heating in the short term.
Ok thanks you

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 44 42.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 49 47.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back