Power Outage

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon display and 16 gallon sump. The power was out for about 2 hours and I was worried about the oxygen and the temp. I only have 2 clownfish in there right now. How long can they survive in there if power was out for 24 hours? Is temp a major problem when the power is out and the temp drops 10 degrees? Thank you

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon display and 16 gallon sump. The power was out for about 2 hours and I was worried about the oxygen and the temp. I only have 2 clownfish in there right now. How long can they survive in there if power was out for 24 hours? Is temp a major problem when the power is out and the temp drops 10 degrees? Thank you
10 degrees might be a little excessive this time of year but depends where you’re from.

Oxygenation and gas exchange is the most important .

Scoop or syphon water out and pour it back in to circulate water will help

A battery backup or generator is always good to have around

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 degrees might be a little excessive this time of year but depends where you’re from.

Thanks for the help man

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How low of temp can the water get until my clownfish start to die I keep them around 78.5 degrees

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yourself and your reef a huge favor and buy a battery backup system for circulation. I’ve built one myself, connected to a MP40 and can run the pump for 40+ hours. I also have a portable generator to cover heat in the “winter” months.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A drop is safe, increase can lower oxygen. With temp drop, metabolism decreases. If you have heat packs, you can tape them to glass otherwise you can wrap tank with blankets to help maintain degree temp. Important is oxygen in both cases and if you have a battery operated pump (walmart has them in sporting goods for fishing) - utilize that

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the temp in the house? My power was out for 65 hours last week. Battery bubbler was the life saver. Lost one fish and one across before I put the bubbler in. House temp stayed about 78 during the outage.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A drop is safe, increase can lower oxygen. With temp drop, metabolism decreases. If you have heat packs, you can tape them to glass otherwise you can wrap tank with blankets to help maintain degree temp. Important is oxygen in both cases and if you have a battery operated pump (walmart has them in sporting goods for fishing) - utilize that
I
What’s the temp in the house? My power was out for 65 hours last week. Battery bubbler was the life saver. Lost one fish and one across before I put the bubbler in. House temp stayed about 78 during the outage.
The temp in house was 70 degrees and temp in tank was dropping temp fast. I just don’t know what to do abou that

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it. What size tank. Do you have a gas stove? If so heat up water on the stove and can put into water bottles to diffuse heat to the tank. Is the power anticipates to come on soon. The hot water may be a bit extreme if only a short outage. In louisiana the temps were over 100 during our outage last week so the inside of the house was pretty toasty at about 80

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it. What size tank. Do you have a gas stove? If so heat up water on the stove and can put into water bottles to diffuse heat to the tank. Is the power anticipates to come on soon. The hot water may be a bit extreme if only a short outage. In louisiana the temps were over 100 during our outage last week so the inside of the house was pretty toasty at about 80
Power now back on. But there has been work going on our street and power goes a for a few hours a new this week. My display tank is 75 and sump is 16 gallons. Temp outside was around 90 but inside was 70 we keep the house cold. I could maybe open a widow to help bring temp up .

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrapping a blanket around/over tank can help preserve heat for some amount of time. (Not saying it's best solution or anything like that, just one idea)
Last 16 hour power outage my tank only dropped to about 70 degrees while the house was much lower -- don't remember exactly but maybe mid-50s

EDIT -- just noticed that was already mentioned,,, sorry

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have Occellaris clownfish, their long-term lower temperature limit is reportedly ~75F (24C); at 75F and above, there’s no problem.* If the temp is slightly below 75F, you may not see problems unless they stay at that temp for a few hours/days. For immediate damage to occur from temperature, the temp would likely need to be somewhere around 59-65F (15-18C).**

Some tips in this related thread:

*Source:
**Source (Fig. 3 is the relevant data):

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrapping a blanket around/over tank can help preserve heat for some amount of time. (Not saying it's best solution or anything like that, just one idea)
Last 16 hour power outage my tank only dropped to about 70 degrees while the house was much lower -- don't remember exactly but maybe mid-50s

EDIT -- just noticed that was already mentioned,,, sorry
Don’t be sorry dude you are still helping me out. If temp does drop for 78 to 70 is that a major problem for my fish? Appreciate your help

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have Occellaris clownfish, their long-term lower temperature limit is reportedly ~75F (24C); at 75F and above, there’s no problem.* If the temp is slightly below 75F, you may not see problems unless they stay at that temp for a few hours/days. For immediate damage to occur from temperature, the temp would likely need to be somewhere around 59-65F (15-18C).**

Some tips in this related thread:

*Source:
**Source (Fig. 3 is the relevant data):
Good to know thank you

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 63 42.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 69 46.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back