Power Outrage - Questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Smiler1875
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Smiler1875

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 25, 2021
Messages
94
Reaction score
32
Location
Wootton Wawen, UK
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Has anyone any experience in battery backup UPS.

I've had notification that in a few weeks power could be out for 6-7 hours.

I know I need to keep water moving, I think temp shouldn't drop too much, and I've bought a couple of small battery pumps for a couple of air stones etc, But wondering if its worth investing in a UPS, to keep flow etc, But so many options no idea how long they run for or power I would need.

Anyone used UPS out there or other thoughts ? ( I might add, this is very rare, just new cabling being put in for new housing, never had an outage longer than a few minutes before).

I'm assuming just to keep powerhead/wavemaker flowing and maybe return pump wouldn't need a great deal of power, but I am unsure TBH
 
if it gets really tight on the juice a air pump with a low pressure stone gives you the most electrical bang for the buck, trust me here I got loads of experience here, unfortunately
 
I run the computer back ups and hooked up with a small hydor pump and a 150w heater. It lasts about 5-7 hours according to display but i think it will for about 4 hours.

you can just hook up the heater with the ups and run the battery pump those last like 3 days.
 
Get a battery powerhouse. Depending on the size you get you can even powerup all the essential items in your house
 


BRS took a look at this - obviously they have an incentive to tell us that the DC backups they sell are better, but they seem to have good reputation for honesty as well.

As for me, I have a couple of USB powered pumps that kick on when power goes out. Attached to a car battery, lasts 7 days. In really cold climates probably need a generator.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new