Power Outrage - Questions

Smiler1875

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Has anyone any experience in battery backup UPS.

I've had notification that in a few weeks power could be out for 6-7 hours.

I know I need to keep water moving, I think temp shouldn't drop too much, and I've bought a couple of small battery pumps for a couple of air stones etc, But wondering if its worth investing in a UPS, to keep flow etc, But so many options no idea how long they run for or power I would need.

Anyone used UPS out there or other thoughts ? ( I might add, this is very rare, just new cabling being put in for new housing, never had an outage longer than a few minutes before).

I'm assuming just to keep powerhead/wavemaker flowing and maybe return pump wouldn't need a great deal of power, but I am unsure TBH

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it gets really tight on the juice a air pump with a low pressure stone gives you the most electrical bang for the buck, trust me here I got loads of experience here, unfortunately

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the computer back ups and hooked up with a small hydor pump and a 150w heater. It lasts about 5-7 hours according to display but i think it will for about 4 hours.

you can just hook up the heater with the ups and run the battery pump those last like 3 days.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BRS took a look at this - obviously they have an incentive to tell us that the DC backups they sell are better, but they seem to have good reputation for honesty as well.

As for me, I have a couple of USB powered pumps that kick on when power goes out. Attached to a car battery, lasts 7 days. In really cold climates probably need a generator.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 88 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back