siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seawitch submitted a new Article:

Power Quality and Surge Protection

Surge suppression has come a long way over the years. Some of us remember when purchasing our first computer we also had to purchase an APC power back-up that had surge protection, power filtering and power back-up as a much-needed secondary function. Today we plug our computers into surge strips from Walmart or Best Buy. Some are quality units costing upwards of a hundred dollars, some are not.

PQ Power Quality & SPD Surge Protection Device

Surge Protection is often referred to as Power Quality when discussing their function, application and properties. To achieve power quality we may implement a SPD or surge protection device or other means to achieve a desired level of quality. Trade publications now devote an entire column every month to this and other related topics.

Today’s Surge Protector AKA Surge Suppressor / Surge strips / Power Strips

These are possibly the most misrepresented of any electrical device on the market today and one of the leading causes of fires in our homes.

Years ago Tripp Lite was the only trusted brand when industrial applications were concerned. We used Daykin or Sola transformers to provide clean power for sensitive electronics, PLC's and CPU's. Tripp Lite’s Isobar was the go-to for point-of-use filters or protection. They were made in the USA and costly. The housings were steel or aluminum with cooling fans or heat sinks. Today you see them in plastic and imported. I see identical units at the bargain store with a different name or logo printed on them and know they are not the same.

Of course you can find the original Isobar units, and they are still the go-to brand.

We will get back to this type of unit later in the article.

screen-shot-2019-02-19-at-8-43-13-am-png.983864

These images are used with permission from Tripp Lite. ©2019, All Rights Reserved.

Why Should I Do More?

For me it started 12 years ago. My new home was damaged by a surge or line fault that occurred when a contractor digging a basement hit the feeder supplying our new development. The surge not only traveled the service cable but induced a voltage and current through the soil to the buried telephone and cable lines damaging that equipment as well. This single incident resulted in thousands of dollars in damage.

The utility company, instead of replacing the compromised feeder, tapped into an already problematic circuit to supply our new development. Soon after, furnaces, Smart appliances, and anything with a circuit board started failing.

First was to identify the problem.

Along with a few homeowners I filed a claim and complaint. To go through this process you really need to be motivated and have a lot of time on your hands. Due to the recent events the utility installed a meter/event recorder on my home. The tech said he would return in a few days to retrieve the data.

One month later the tech returned and reviewed the data, and I asked, “Ok, what were the results?”

…..…. silence…..…. then “Your site manager will contact you.”

If You Want Something Done

I soon realized the Energy Co could really care less about one of the thousand developments occurring during that housing boom. Their response was “It’s on the books!" So I had to find a solution.

Note: It’s still on the books.

That’s the Ticket!

Soon after, I attended an Electrical Contractors convention. When I visited the Leviton booth, I was surprised to see a device identical to the recorder that was on my home. When I inquired I learned that it was a Whole House Surge Suppressor. The rep was excited that another recognized the importance of Power Quality and the device sitting on the table. When he stated that “This is the same unit that utility companies rent to their customers,” I knew I had found the solution.

Since that day, I now have a website and a matching toll free number primarily devoted to Surge Protection and have sold and installed well over a hundred units.

screen-shot-2019-02-19-at-8-43-44-am-png.983865

This image is courtesy of @siggy, ©2019, All Rights Reserved.

Check with your local authority when installing TYPE-1 or 2 SPD’S.

This is my photo of a TYPE-1 SPD. It’s now in use as click bait by a distributor trying to sell you an inexpensive TYPE-2 SPD.

Properly Sized & Installed Equipment

Today, most homeowners see Mr. Holmes's face on a $69.99 whole-house device and think that’s all that’s needed. They are taught to look at the joules rating to gauge the effectiveness of a product. Joules is a good indicator but not the most important. Clamping threshold or gate voltage and the duration it can sustain that clamping of over-voltage is even more important. For instance: you could have a million joules with a 200-volt gate or clamp. That thing would last a lifetime but 200 volts is not a suitable voltage for a 120-volt device. A hundred and fifty (150) volts is a good place to start, and to give credit, the Isobar unit I looked at had a 140-volt gate.

Also remember, one good hit from a lightning strike or a car hitting a utility pole can relinquish some of the best equipment to the curb.

Joules=Life of unit or how much it can absorb in its lifetime

Rule of Thumb for a safe operating voltage is +/- 10%
Due to PQ demands and confusion surrounding SPD’S and further fueled by imports and increases in fire-related incidents, UL laboratory, located on Cape Canaveral, began extensive testing and created a Standard known as UL 1449 3rd Edition. This revision created a Installation System of Type 1 thru 5.

Note: Florida and the Cape are well known as the Lightning Capital of the World and for UL Labs & SPD testing respectively.

UL statement

UL 1449 is Underwriters Laboratories’ safety and performance standard for surge protection equipment. In 2009, this Standard was revised to the 3rd Edition. In addition to some nomenclature changes, there were two very important objectives for revising the UL 1449 Standard: to harmonize with the international standards for surge protective equipment (IEC 61643-1) and to modify performance tests to better simulate real world exposure.

The Right Tools for the Job

screen-shot-2019-02-19-at-8-44-08-am-png.983866

This image was created by and used with permission from @siggy, ©2019, All Rights Reserved.

Specific Tasks or Filtering

Think of a SPD as a filter, after all that is precisely what it is doing!

Type-1 is coarse and a work horse. These can handle strong heavy hits without breaking stride. This is your first line of defense, and in industrialized or areas prone to surges are highly recommended.

This will reduce the spike to a manageable level for the other filters downstream to capture without significant damage or loss of life. Remember joules?

Type-2 is medium filter and a good overall Whole House SPD. These are installed at the breaker panel.

Smaller additional units are very popular when paired with sub-panels for studio’s and home theaters.

They range in cost from $69.99 up to over $3k for some of the newer electronic systems.

Type-3 is a fine filter and a point-of-use SPD. When coupled with a Type-1 or 2 you have a sound network of protection. The composition of these units vary significantly and cost is a decent indicator.

But before we go further let’s touch on POWER STRIPS! These are often mistaken for a Type-3 SPD's. They look alike on the outside but offer no protection. The Item pictured below is an import for and sold by Granger Industrial. It’s intended for use in commercial and industrial (harsh) environments.

screen-shot-2019-02-19-at-8-44-32-am-png.983867

These images are courtesy of @siggy, ©2019, All Rights Reserved.

Note the Black wire or Hot. It appears that a form of adhesive was used to make the connection. Also note the lack of support of the contact surfaces of the receptacles. This unit has a UL Listed label.

Home Stretch!

TYPE-3 SPD SURGE PROTECTION DEVICE

The Type-3 surge strip is one of the most commonly used and abused piece of electrical equipment.

We use them for everything including power tools and space heaters. Then that same SPD is used for a 3D printer or computer the very next day.

One of the biggest misconceptions is that a SPD will TRIP or disconnect power when a surge or fault occurs, or it will stop supplying power at the end of its life and thus informing you that replacement is needed. None of these is correct!

screen-shot-2019-02-19-at-8-44-57-am-png.983868

The two outer images are courtesy of @siggy. The two inner images are royalty-free photos from iStock. ©2019, All Rights Reserved.

A Type-3 SPD for every application. Rack Mounts / Receptacles / Power Strips / Voice-Data-Video

Choosing the correct unit along with installation, will insure its proper use, function and will be ready when needed... Don’t forget your laundry rooms and microwaves!

It’s all about the MOV’S or Metal Oxide Varistors. Yes, plural because a quality unit will have multiple.

The MOV is the sacrificial component and gate, taking the pressure of the surge. These can range in size, voltage, and duration of exposure.

The TYPE-1 unit pictured above has two 52mm MOV’S compared to the 10mm yellow MOV’S below.

Note pictures 1 & 2 are decent SPD's and cost around $35-$40. Fused, multiple MOV’S (Yellow), and a thermal link (white) for each in case the MOV fails closed (fire hazard) also note the robust receptacle support and interior cap or cover to encase the buss and receptacles.

Last is a bargain unit. It is a joke, with only a single small MOV and more of that funny glue with a twist for a connection.

screen-shot-2019-02-19-at-8-45-27-am-png.983869

These images are courtesy of @siggy, ©2019, All Rights Reserved.

Purchase A Quality & Trustworthy Unit

There are several units available today and most name brands offer a wide range of costs and features. They offer warranties and protection but read the fine print, and you will see that most are referring to White Goods or appliances for Type 1 & 2 units. Type-3 units will vary so choose only very reputable sources if you think you may need to file a claim. They are not in the habit of paying so you can be assured of a respectable unit. Cost is always a good indicator when choosing a SPD; you get what you pay for.

Some filters for Cable TV may disrupt channels operating at a certain shared frequency. Be sure to check for notes or disclaimers. A name brand that specializes in home theater will be a good choice, and also check the retailer's return policy if this becomes an issue.

I hope this answers some questions and dispels the myths regarding Surge Strips and Home Protection and leaves you confident in your choice of equipment.

~~~~~~~~~~~

We encourage all our readers to join the Reef2Reef forum. It’s easy to register, free, and reefkeeping is much easier and more fun in a community of fellow aquarists. We pride ourselves on a warm and family-friendly forum where everyone is welcome. You will also find lots of contests and giveaways with our sponsors.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Author Profile: @siggy

@siggy is an industrial and automation electrician working for a major auto company in Detroit, MI.

He grew up with the great lakes outside his front door and has always lived within a few minutes walk. He is an avid boater and fisherman, and you can find him on the water regardless if it's frozen or soft.

He has been keeping fish on and off since the late 70's.

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up. I had a whole house surge protector installed last year. It is my first line of defense as I live in a rural area with power surges and lighting strikes as normal part of life. But I also put top quality powerstrips on my DT. I went to the local electrical supply house that the contractors use and had the guys show me the differences between the cheap and more expensive strips. What I found out echoes Siggy's article. Thanks Siggy!

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really good article. For years Ive used pro audio conditioning power supplies. Main reason to tidy my wire mess up. Lil did I know they was really a high grade surge suppressor. Ive even had the on my computer. Perfect to sit the old heavy monitor on. I just got the up dated styles, ones you can see the watts And voltage bouncing around. Until you see it real time. You wont believe how DIRTY your incoming electric is. Thank you for being spot on.. great article.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Guys!
voltage bouncing around. Until you see it real time. You wont believe how DIRTY your incoming electric is.
Exactly! This Noise erodes your equipment over time. That saying "They don't make em like they used to!" may not be the product but PQ issues!
I would really like to hear from a EE knowledgeable on this subject and the advancements regarding new technology.
FYI I was given a Surge Counter by that Leviton rep. and as mentioned you would be Shocked;) to discover how many Spikes We encounter daily.
102439601_-com-leviton-plug-in-surge-monitor-counter-51000-smc-.jpg

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you provide a list of devices you would recommend? Even 2 or 3 would help people get on the right track...

Years ago I had a Samsung TV fail. When the guy came out to repair it he took his time to explain surge protection and why the TV failed. Oddly enough, it was the TV that had cheap parts and Samsung knew it. So they replaced them free of charge and I learned way more than I could ever retain. Every major electronic of mine has been on an IsoBar since that day. So I tend to look at Tripp Lite first since they've been quality for years.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide a list of devices you would recommend? Even 2 or 3 would help people get on the right track...

Years ago I had a Samsung TV fail. When the guy came out to repair it he took his time to explain surge protection and why the TV failed. Oddly enough, it was the TV that had cheap parts and Samsung knew it. So they replaced them free of charge and I learned way more than I could ever retain. Every major electronic of mine has been on an IsoBar since that day. So I tend to look at Tripp Lite first since they've been quality for years.
Tripp Lite is a Benchmark Company and I believe has been doing it longer than anyone for the consumer market. I will show some rack mounts All in Ones later on.

In the Detroit area I work on occasion with a electronics / Low Voltage Contractor the does Media Displays / Large Theaters / Audio Systems . Really Cool stuff, Programmable Lighting will dim and window blinds will close when starting a presentation. I will do the power 120v on up and these guys liked using Sentrex now Wiremold due to the fact that this company always Specialized and Catered to the electronics industry. Siemens ,
Square D, along with any trusted brands is just a good bet. Best Buy likes to hype Monster Power Brand although I have never used one and Belkin is talked about but I would never have a reason to TRY one when better options are available. But for the average home Leviton I believe has the most rounded and Largest portfolio of styles colors and applications. You Will find what you want at a decent cost. Yes I'm a Fan Boy but for good reason.
So Ill show you why.
receptacles come in several colors and I really like these for Media Centers, Notice this is rated for 20 amps
LEVMFCE01712_B7_PE_004.jpg

Sub Units for small theaters or room application $70 you still need a type3 ......next is a cost effective around $200 whole house type 2.....and My choice would be the last for type-2, conduit and wiring all ready to go just tie in. $450 and robust.

images
images
images

Last edited:

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is a list I use.
Computers routers and thingys
https://www.parts-express.com/tripp-lite-isotel8ultra-multimedia-surge-suppressor--125-145

'Tv's all my TV' has one
https://www.parts-express.com/middl...t-surge-protector-for-flat-panel-tv--262-4366
https://www.parts-express.com/furman-pst-8-8-outlet-advanced-surge-strip--248-774

On tank

https://www.parts-express.com/furman-m-8dx-power-conditioner-with-lights-and-voltage-meter--248-785

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that guy takes his stuff seriously, and once you loose a $600 table top Boise radio ? that STILL hertz;)
Parts express is a awesome source
@Saveafish have you noticed any filter noise or channel interference using any of these?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love me Parts Express - bought lots of stuff from them over the years including ill conceived efforts to build my own speakers. I've got a bunch of ridiculously priced power conditioners (google Isotek Titan) on some of my ridiculously priced audio gear. I did have one question though. What is the device pictured here? I assume it is a Type 1 SPD? What was unclear to me from the article is whether one ideally uses a Type 1 and a Type 2, or just one or the other?

IMG_0961.jpg

Last edited:

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me tell you a little story about Belkin. They talk a great game with their guarantees but when my UPS took a hit I lost my cable modem, router, two switches, and my server NIC. It seems like a surge from a lightning strike came up the RG6 cable which was attached to the UPS on entry into the house. This model was supposed to have the ability to filter that out but didn't. I called them to open a claim and they had a requirement to have my house wiring to be inspected by a Master Electrician and for them to fill out a report.

Was the last Belkin product I bought.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well described and illustrated !!!

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Type 1 SPD? What was unclear to me from the article is whether one ideally uses a Type 1 and a Type 2, or just one or the other?
@ca1ore That is exactly a type-1
For a average home owner ; the type-1 is difficult to install if allowed by Utility Co. The Utility will RENT then to you in areas that are prone to fluctuations and surges. OR in states that hold them accountable to damage.
They may install them for free to cover themselves. When I discovered them I called the Site Manager handling our case and he told me they (Detroit Edison) do not allow them, and to quote him
"WE DON'T ALLOW PEOPLE TO STAND IN FRONT OF OUR CASH REGISTER" a while later DTE requirements changed to require Homeowners to OWN and are to required to purchase and maintain all equipment to the source, so now we provide them a UL APPROVED Meter socket and the type-1 Qualify s. All areas are different. Not all service techs see it that way and several units have disappeared, or they are just taking them. I was just asked to replace one last night, the H/O doesn't care he wants another.
SO for most we install A type-2, again for problematic ares I will install a type-1 that installs in the home or after the meter.
If You live In rural ares with old overhead power lines, I would recommend a type-1 or industrialized areas. Wind will cause those transmission lines to touch and send spikes at very high levels and will actually cause fires.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write @siggy I guess I have to look into the whole house surger. Our Energy CO sells a system, but it also let the Energy Co on control the amount of electric during peak times. This one reason I have not installed a whole house surge protector, especially with the lighting down here.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
especially with the lighting down here.
I think if you called and Inquired about their policy on replacement of damaged equipment they might offer the meter/mounted Type-1.;)

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the whole house surge protector my electrician installed at the same time he was hooking up my Generac 22kw system on our rural house. Went with the Siemens brand protector:

IMG_1636.JPG

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siggy, thanks for a valuable write-up. Since you are experienced in this area, I wonder what your opinion is of the technology used by Zer0Surge https://zerosurge.com/surge-suppression/. According to their literature, they use a method of stopping surges that does not rely on MOVs which are degraded by the surges they stop. I have no good idea one way or the other but have had ZeroSurge suppressors on my computer equipment in the lab and at home for 20 years.

Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if I have the Type 1, I do not need a Type 2 as well?
The Type-1 you have Is a Great device. I have never had ONE person tell me it failed them. They are made by the same company's that build the BIG stuff for utility company's and NOT a competitive retail market. ...They have to WORK! You can do What you think is best, but my opinion is a good type-3 is all you require.
One neighbor (last house on the circuit) lost 2 or 3 furnace control boards in 1.5 years and none after I installed the meter unit 10 years ago.

my Generac 22kw system on our rural house. Went with the Siemens brand protector:
Siemens Is GOOD stuff! FYI When a Power outage occurs, That Switching is one of the highest surges you will encounter.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 97 76.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back