Power requirements for 120 gallon ?

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the location where we would like to have the tank only has a standard double receptacle power source available which shares the same circuit as the family entertainment system. Re-wiring to the location from the breaker is not feasible.

I'm wondering If I will be OK with just the one source that shares the home theater system on the same breaker?

Although I really don't have a list of equipment I plan on using, I will be trying to keep the system simple. Main tank about 24 x 24 x 48 (maybe longer 54?) with a 20-30 gallon sump and separate 20-30 gallon refugium. Skimmer, LED lighting, two heaters on controller. thats about all we have on the drawing board for now.

The only way to get more wire to the location would require some major work, (we have a weird house) would like to avoid that if possible.

giphy.gif

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will depend on how much your entertainment system is drawing and what your aquarium equipment draws. Newer aquarium equipment is pretty energy efficient these days depending on what you go with, but you definitely don't want to push it as if the circuit blows while your away for a few days, it won't be pretty when you return. Personally I would only have my system on multiple dedicated circuits.

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you know how to use a Amp meter you’ll know what each circuit is drawing
One outlet will allow you Between 15 to 20 Amps
If you know what circuit breaker the stereo system is on right on the breaker it will tell you the amperage
Remember that circuit may have one or more outlets attached to it
Safety First

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the location where we would like to have the tank only has a standard double receptacle power source available which shares the same circuit as the family entertainment system. Re-wiring to the location from the breaker is not feasible.

I'm wondering If I will be OK with just the one source that shares the home theater system on the same breaker?

Although I really don't have a list of equipment I plan on using, I will be trying to keep the system simple. Main tank about 24 x 24 x 48 (maybe longer 54?) with a 20-30 gallon sump and separate 20-30 gallon refugium. Skimmer, LED lighting, two heaters on controller. thats about all we have on the drawing board for now.

The only way to get more wire to the location would require some major work, (we have a weird house) would like to avoid that if possible.

giphy.gif

Even though it seems like a lot it's really not. About the only real power draw in an aquarium is the tank heater (or chiller depending on which route you go) and keep in mind it's not on all the time. A basic desktop computer consumes more juice than that.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though it seems like a lot it's really not. About the only real power draw in an aquarium is the tank heater (or chiller depending on which route you go) and keep in mind it's not on all the time. A basic desktop computer consumes more juice than that.
This is true, but also keep in mind that you need to make sure the breaker can handle the maximum draw, so while the heater isn't on all the time, you ned the breaker to handle it when it does come on at the same time as the other equipment. Pick up a Kill-a-watt meter like this one https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Ele...UTF8&qid=1526996034&sr=8-2&keywords=killawatt and you'll be able to see the actual draw at the outlet which will let you know where you stand.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is true, but also keep in mind that you need to make sure the breaker can handle the maximum draw, so while the heater isn't on all the time, you ned the breaker to handle it when it does come on at the same time as the other equipment. Pick up a Kill-a-watt meter like this one https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Ele...UTF8&qid=1526996034&sr=8-2&keywords=killawatt and you'll be able to see the actual draw at the outlet which will let you know where you stand.

Agreed.

OP
OP
Pedal Dangit

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips. I guess the thread is pointless as we are going to try a tank out in the location regardless. Here is a pic to show the location

Will be sure to be home and test when heaters are running and stereo is turned all the way up to max listening levels

33602807_10211547938194059_8659102373127389184_n.jpg

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I’m tagging along because I have 17 things that have to be plugged in for my tank to run. Now I have two outlets on my wall, and they each have two plug ins. So I use four power strips which have like 10 outlets on them. It’s a plug in nightmare.

The good thing is where my tv, and stereo is they are on a separate wall, and plugged into two different outlets. But I’m concerned they all run on the same breaker fuse.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips. I guess the thread is pointless as we are going to try a tank out in the location regardless. Here is a pic to show the location

Will be sure to be home and test when heaters are running and stereo is turned all the way up to max listening levels

33602807_10211547938194059_8659102373127389184_n.jpg
That’s a killer spot! Going to be viewable from both sides?

OP
OP
Pedal Dangit

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a killer spot! Going to be viewable from both sides?

Thanks. That is the dream, a 120 with the end drilled. Would like to take out that railing and build big stand for sump and refugium. Maybe some LED pendants hanging would look nice but I think it may need a hood to cut back on light spread into the room (TV) It's all still in planing stage

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back