Power Strip Choices?

Citycop89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run 2 - 150 watt eheim heaters, 4-120 mm arctic f12 computer case fans on 2 different temperature controllers, 3 hydor koralia ph's, bubble magus skimmer, 2 chinese black boxes, 700 gph return pump, and a par 38 refugium bulb on a single American dj prod. Yes, fire hazard waiting to happen. It was temporary. But, the power strip handled it like a champ. No issues at all. Keep in mind all of that wasnt running at one time. I keep my house at 76. My heaters are staggered at 74 and 80 fans only come on at 81 or higher (they have never come on), the leds are on during the day and when they shut off the par 38 in the sump comes on and when the par 38 turns off the less come on.

Thank you. It’ll def handle what I’m going to be running

medic17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
c2c22566772b4f0a90e11bb1a4d9a47d.jpg
i think I am just going to break down and buy the apex system seems to be very reliable and has great reviews. Thanks for all the replies happy reefing

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use the DJ PC-100A. I mounted a piece of plywood on the inside of the stand to hide the electrical cords. Also mounted the strip far enough back to close the removable stand door if I choose to. Nice to just flip a switch when you want to power something up or turn it off.
Screenshot_20180501-083152.png
Screenshot_20180501-083231.png
Screenshot_20180501-083855.png

What did you use to mount this to the underside of the cabinet? Trying to do a similar setup on my end!

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Tripp Lite mentioned early on page 1 I love them but anytning with individual switches is high recommended if you aren’t using a controller with a power center capability.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sooo many different power strips I've used, from expensive to cheaper.

The two that fit my needs best are either a BELKIN that has 12 outlets, with 8 of them being rotatable plugs for bigger blocks, with the highest joule protection rating of most surge strips. Or the 10 outlet KILL A WATT PS10 that BRS sells overpriced ($70). It tells you how many amps, watts, volts, KWH's, and how efficient devices are at using power. This is the one I have hooked up now.

Neither of these are in the stand. The Belkin is $26 at Amazon and the Kill A Watt is $59 at Amazon.

If I were going to use an American DJ switched variety, it would be the SC8 II. It has remote plugs from the switch box. So you can have the switches mounted by the stand and the actual plugs out of the stand.

Last edited:

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 out of 2 of those pictured American DJ units spontaneously light on fire - fortunately both times while I was home. And I was using way less power than they are rated for. They were fine for months until they weren't. No water ever touched them and they were several feet away from the tank. They are cheap, and consequently dangerous. I know people will chime in and say they've had no problem...well great. But I'd rather pay for the higher quality Tripp Lite units. They are still made in the U.S., I believe...I don't know because I haven't had to buy one in years, i.e. they lasted!

I'd rather not risk my house burning down to save $20-$40, which you don't really save anyway when you end up needing to replace them and/or buy new equipment that has been fried by them.

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 out of 2 of those pictured American DJ units spontaneously light on fire - fortunately both times while I was home. And I was using way less power than they are rated for. They were fine for months until they weren't. No water ever touched them and they were several feet away from the tank. They are cheap, and consequently dangerous. I know people will chime in and say they've had no problem...well great. But I'd rather pay for the higher quality Tripp Lite units. They are still made in the U.S., I believe...I don't know because I haven't had to buy one in years, i.e. they lasted!

I'd rather not risk my house burning down to save $20-$40, which you don't really save anyway when you end up needing to replace them and/or buy new equipment that has been fried by them.

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 tanks, so I got 3 of these Power Play 10-Outlet Surge Protectors. It has a master on/off power button, as well as 10 lighted on/off switches for each individual outlet. This will allow me to turn off individual components instead of unplugging the entire power strip from the wall when doing water changes and/or routine maintenance. I like the fact that it has 10 outlets so that I can plug everything for one tank into one unit. It also has lighted power meters that indicate high or low voltage. It can be rack mounted or stand freely on the floor or in a cabinet. For ease of use, I will label each switch so that I know which components are connected to which outlets. See link below.

Power Play 10-Outlet Surge Protector Tower
download.jpeg

20180429_202838.jpg

Last edited:

TLeTourneau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Neptune Apex powerbars for everything. They work well and give advanced, programmable control of each outlet not to mention all of the monitoring.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Neptune Apex powerbars for everything. They work well and give advanced, programmable control of each outlet not to mention all of the monitoring.
I do too I have 4 powerbars presently and a couple more not even set up yet for future aquariums in the house. sTill nice ot have a simple power bar around thou.:)

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use to mount this to the underside of the cabinet? Trying to do a similar setup on my end!
I used a piece of 3/4" plywood and cut the center out to fit the power strip through it kind of like a radio in a car dashboard. Mount the plywood piece in the stand, then mount the strip to the plywood. There should be a mounting bracket with two holes on either side of the power strip to fasten it to the plywood. I painted the plywood to match my stand.

ALRUI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the life of the ups when power goes out
Thats dependent on the size of the UPS and the watt load on the UPS battery. It can be calculated but as the batteries age the back-up time drops off.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.7%
Back