Power surge

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a power surge and couldn’t reset the breaker for a few mins. When I went to check on my tank I noticed one of my clowns lying on the bottom of the tank breathing heavy. He hasn’t moved from there and is barely moving his fins.

Wondering if it’s the stress of the light coming back on or what?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a power surge and couldn’t reset the breaker for a few mins. When I went to check on my tank I noticed one of my clowns lying on the bottom of the tank breathing heavy. He hasn’t moved from there and is barely moving his fins.

Wondering if it’s the stress of the light coming back on or what?
The power was only out for a few minutes? Generally a few minutes without flow would not cause this issue. What are your parameters and have you checked to make sure the surge didn't cause any electrical shorts in any of your equipment that could be leaching into the tank? Is the tank on a GFCI outlet?

OP
OP
S

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by leaching into the tank? And I’m checking params now
The power was only out for a few minutes? Generally a few minutes without flow would not cause this issue. What are your parameters and have you checked to make sure the surge didn't cause any electrical shorts in any of your equipment that could be leaching into the tank? Is the tank on a GFCI outlet?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by leaching into the tank? And I’m checking params now

Stray current running threw the tank water
This ^^ Basically a piece of equipment shorted out and is now allowing stray current to run through your water, of which is a perfect conductor of electricity.

OP
OP
S

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stray current running threw the tank water
Nitrite and Ammonia both 0, temp didn’t drop, salinity 1.025. I don’t know if a stray current ran through tank. It’s strange that only one clown out of my 4 fish is like this. My possibilities I think are the shock from the light, could’ve been smashed against the glass by another fish?

When I initially checked on tank when I reset the breaker, the other clown was hiding under the rock where my goby usually is... was also breathing heavy but is now normal 15 mins later

OP
OP
S

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This ^^ Basically a piece of equipment shorted out and is now allowing stray current to run through your water, of which is a perfect conductor of electricity.
I don’t know how I would check that

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, thats a good question. I still have never observed something like this from a simple power outage. Lets get more eyes on it and if you could provide a picture of the fish in question #reefsquad

OP
OP
S

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, thats a good question. I still have never observed something like this from a simple power outage. Lets get more eyes on it and if you could provide a picture of the fish in question #reefsquad
*update* clown seems to be more mobile, im guessing it was shock. gonna keep an eye on him. I didn't wanna take a pic of him struggling cause it was hard for me to see. As of right now he's swimming and not laying on the bottom idle.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you install a GFCI? It’s the only way to protect you and your fish. They also have GFCI surge protectors. Regular surge protectors don’t have GFCI.

OP
OP
S

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you install a GFCI? It’s the only way to protect you and your fish. They also have GFCI surge protectors. Regular surge protectors don’t have GFCI.
I'm going to take a look at this. Would like to install one.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back