Power was out for 24hrs due to storm

Jsimon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everyone I need advise. My power went out due to the ice storms, it was out for 36 hours. 8 hours of that I had a working UPS, my generator never would start. The water temp went down to 53 degrees. Power is now up, aquarium is at 72 degrees. And fish are moving. Not sure if coral survived yet. What steps can I take to save this aquarium?

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everyone I need advise. My power went out due to the ice storms, it was out for 36 hours. 8 hours of that I had a working UPS, my generator never would start. The water temp went down to 53 degrees. Power is now up, aquarium is at 72 degrees. And fish are moving. Not sure if coral survived yet. What steps can I take to save this aquarium?
Mine wasn't put as long as yours a couple weeks back in an snow ice event but it was still out for like 9hrs and was down in the 50s water temp. Everything survived. I didn't feed the corals for a couple of days to make sure they didn't get stressed more. How long have you had power back and the temp back up?

OP
OP
Jsimon

Jsimon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power since 7 pm tonighttemp was up 4 hours later. I even put a electric heater blowing on the glass

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power since 7 pm tonighttemp was up 4 hours later. I even put a electric heater blowing on the glass
Well I would wait till the morning and see what all corals open up and see which are ticked at you. I would assume if your fish are doing fine now they'll be fine. The corals i think you'll need to see just how they do when they get light on them tomorrow. Do any of them look bad or bleached at this point or brown?

And Roll Tide as well! I thought the name was a good play of words for a fish forum as well as my fandom.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in a Dallas suburb and lost my entire 135 gal sps tank last year. Without power 5 days and did not own a generator ( I own one now).
Tank got down to 38 degrees. We were boiling tank water on the fireplace and dumping it back in for a while.

Attachments

• 20210223_183853.jpg
    20210223_183853.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
Jsimon

Jsimon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No nothing looks brown, or bleached, so I’ll keep a close eye on the tank. I grew up in Wetumpka so I am a Bama fan also.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would expect that since it was gradual decrease in temp and was not that low that long that most will be ok. I have received delayed shipments of coral with water that cold and even a bit colder and most things survived(though did have some losses as well). Not exactly the same thing but hopefully gives you some hope.

OP
OP
Jsimon

Jsimon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was screwed with no power and no gas pressure. The gas fireplace was close enough that it could have kept the temps up. Then I went to start the generator and it wouldn’t start. I had run it 2 weeks ago. So if most of the aquarium lives I’ll be a happy man

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No nothing looks brown, or bleached, so I’ll keep a close eye on the tank. I grew up in Wetumpka so I am a Bama fan also.
Well glad they didn't talk you into being a Auburn fan that close to the enemy!

If nothing looks brown or bleached you might be safe for now. Update this thread tomorrow with the status of everything. I understand how you feel though. I literally watched the transformer blow on my street and knew I was in a world of hurt. I have a car power inverter but the fuse was magically blown so couldn't use it and luckily I had a battery powered air pump so I tossed it on the tank found a glass lid I had laying around threw it on and threw on blankets and towels and just prayed as I watched the temp go down in my house. I knew I wasn't getting power back very quick theres like 15 houses in my neighborhood out in the middle of nowhere. I was a low priority.

OP
OP
Jsimon

Jsimon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it is looking good, no dead fish, no apparent dead coral. Just a whole bunch of ticked off coral that has half opened. And water that is a lil cloudy

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power is back on. I got lucky everyone! Still got the generator coming with back up options as well! Thanks again for the help!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back