Power went out

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My power went out, will my reef be fine for a few hours. I really did not expect it to go out when its sunny outside. What size generator should i look into buying? I plan asking my neighbor to borrow a cord to run my return pump if it doesnt resolve in an hour.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My power went out, will my reef be fine for a few hours. I really did not expect it to go out when its sunny outside. What size generator should i look into buying?
Depends on a few things.
The temp of the tank before the power went out, and current temp? (Higher temp, less dissoved o2....more likely you will have issues)
How many animals do you have in your tank? (The more you have the higher the likely hood you will run into problems)

Sorry bud, hope that gets resolved sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on a few things.
The temp of the tank before the power went out, and current temp? (Higher temp, less dissoved o2....more likely you will have issues)
How many animals do you have in your tank? (The more you have the higher the likely hood you will run into problems)

Sorry bud, hope that gets resolved sooner rather than later.
I have maybe 13 small lps frags, tanks temp was no higher than 78 had an inkbird. I have roughly 5 small fish. Its a 29g. With a 7.5g sump

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can keep some flow going, more than likely everything will be just fine. Our reefs can handle a surprising range of temperatures and temp fluctuations, its also not uncommon to have a few rainy/cloudy days in nature. Do what you can to keep things moving, agitate the surface of the water for gas exchange and hope things come back on soon.

A few hours, or portion of a day wouldnt worry me much.

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals might survive but the fish need oxygen, do you have any way of creating movement in the water?

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals might survive but the fish need oxygen, do you have any way of creating movement in the water?
Not right now. My neighbor has a generator, so i will ask him in maybe 30 mins if i can just run a cord and run a small tunze 6015 pump

weelo111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Temp won't be the issue - you will need to create some oxygen within the tank. You can use a turkey baster to blow into the water if it's only for a few hours. That should hold it over until the power is restored.

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp won't be the issue - you will need to create so oxygen within the tank. You can use a turkey baster to blow into the water if it's only for a few hours. That should hold it over until the power is restored.

+1

weelo111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You should be fine. They ship fish and coral that stay in the bag for up to 24+ hours

Just keep an eye on things and aerate the water periodically.

Says estimated restoration on com ed is in 3 hours

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine. They ship fish and coral that stay in the bag for up to 24+ hours

Just keep an eye on things and aerate the water periodically.
I asked my neighbor and he let run a line so my pumps are running and i aimed them up to promote gas exchange

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have maybe 13 small lps frags, tanks temp was no higher than 78 had an inkbird. I have roughly 5 small fish. Its a 29g. With a 7.5g sump
Got it...as others have mentioned.... its a good idea to provide some form of oxygenation to the reef. Since water isnt circulating sump volume doesnt really matter.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a fine choice for a generator.
Quiet and will run your tank and powerful enough for some other stuff too.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again depends on what you are attempting to accomplish. Im no generator master..but are you trying to power your aquarium or your whole house?
I guess run the house. Ie just the fridge and reef. And to charge electronics. I guess its more worth it just for the house

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back