Powerbar question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scenario: It's 2 pm and the outlet is on, power goes out moments later, power returns on at 4pm.

GHL was already programmed to turn outlet off at 3pm and on at 6pm.

So when the power went out at 2 the outlet was on but at 3 when it was scheduled to turn off the power was out. When power is restored at 4 will the Powerbar shut off power for the remainder off the off period (4-6?). Basically does it only perform the on/off at that time or does it continuously check during the off period that it is off?

I ask because the smart strip I have now would have had the oulet on from 4-6 as it can only change power when it has power at the exact on off time.

Thanks!

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If power goes out, once restored, it will follow the programming in the P4.
In this case, it would remain OFF until 6:00 then turn on.
You're sure this is how the programming works? It's not just off and on at a certain time but it continuously checks its in the right state?

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The P4 has a non-volatile memory, meaning it retains it's programming if power is cut. The power bar only follows the instructions from the P4. When power is restored, the programming says the outlet is to be OFF until 6:00. Then at 6 it turns back on.
My power has been out since yesterday at 3:46. It just came on 10-20 minutes ago. All sockets, lights, etc, are following the program.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, the kasa smart strip I have remembers programming too BUT it only remembers specific on off times ie if set to power off at 3 and on at 6, it will make one attempt to turn off at 3 and on at 6, so it would have stayed on the whole time in my scenario but would have remembered the next day to turn off at 3.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kasa and similar smart plugs receive 1 signal at the appropriate time telling it what to do at that time.

Powerbars from GHL, Apex etc - are constantly receiving input / providing feedback to their primary brain or controller.

on your KASA - at 3 pm - it will be told 1 time to power off and at 6 it will be told 1 time to power on.

On the GHL / APEX etc powerbars - they are constantly being told off or on so missing 1 signal is no big deal.

This is the big difference, IME, and why I'll use the KASA and similar plugs for things like my lights - but never for anything life support like a pump or heater.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kasa and similar smart plugs receive 1 signal at the appropriate time telling it what to do at that time.

Powerbars from GHL, Apex etc - are constantly receiving input / providing feedback to their primary brain or controller.

on your KASA - at 3 pm - it will be told 1 time to power off and at 6 it will be told 1 time to power on.

On the GHL / APEX etc powerbars - they are constantly being told off or on so missing 1 signal is no big deal.

This is the big difference, IME, and why I'll use the KASA and similar plugs for things like my lights - but never for anything life support like a pump or heater.
Spot on. With reef-pi we do something similar as well.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spot on. With reef-pi we do something similar as well.
Yep - Reef-Pi works the same as the Apex / GHL from that perspective.

I should have mentioned that since I have 2 reef-pi devices running as well as an Apex, GHL & a few Kasa smart strips.

I might have some sort of lazy man / automation problem.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I actually just wrote a review on the KASA stating its one drawback is the 1 signal issue!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back